Monday, August 17, 2015

Zucchini Bites



I knew I'd be making something with zucchini this month for The Secret Recipe Club. Actually I've been cooking a LOT with zucchini this whole month. I haven't posted too much lately but I've been using zucchini in almost everything.  

This is our first  year growing a garden and everything is turning out wonderful. We have cucumbers, tomatoes and a mystery plant that we don't know what is growing.  Plus a watermelon that the kids are having fun watching grow. It's a funny shape but still fun to watch get bigger.  And then there are the zucchini.  These are mutant, huge, ginormous zucchini growing in such masses that when my daughter brought 3 more mammoths into the house the other day, I literally jump backed and screamed a little.  We've been invaded by zucchini. 

So when I found these Zucchini Tots on Julies blog A Little Bit of Everything, I jumped right on it.  In fact, I've made them several times this month and they are awesome.  I admit, while the first time I made them, I was exact with the measurements. Yet as I continued to make them, I just eyeballed the ingredients and threw it all in a bowl. It's a quick and easy recipe that is hard to mess up.  I love the onion so I tend to go heavy on the onion.  You can use different cheeses as well. I pretty much stuck with Colby jack and Parmesan as that's what we usually have on hand. These little guys are cute and delicious. I only wish I had another mini muffin pan!

I'm heading back to Julies blog when I need a dessert next.  She has a whole section of nummy desserts that look amazing! 





Zucchini Bites
Recipe from A Little Bit of Everything


1 cup zucchini, grated
1 egg
3 tbsp. onion, minced
1/4 cup cheese, I used Colby Jack and Parmesan
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 400. Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. 

Grate the zucchini and place in a metal colander to drain.  Press with paper towels to get some of the moisture out. 

In a bowl, combine the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini and salt and pepper. 

Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top and press them in a bit.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the top is browned and set. 

Enjoy.







Blogger/Self hosted WP widget:


9 comments:

  1. We love these. I haven't had a lot of extra zucchini this year, so haven't made them yet. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like fun! I typically have an abundance of zucchini as well, so this is a creative way to enjoy them .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually get a lot of zucchini in our csa box, so I'll keep this recipe in mind when that part of summer comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm jealous of your abundance of zucchini. My plants didn't do well this year, and I don't think it helped that my pup decided to dig out the few remaining plants and run around the yard with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg..i want to me make zucchini totchos (tot + nachos) yummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try these Debbie, I love recipes you can eyeball, and this sounds so easy and good!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made zucchini tots too this summer, but I may have "ahem" deep fried them!

    http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2015/05/29/mishmash-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  8. these sound so yummy! Great choice! Fellow Group C'er

    ReplyDelete
  9. i made zucchini tots last summer. so good! i need to make 'em again :)

    ReplyDelete