Monday, June 15, 2015

Tomato Focaccia

You want to make your whole house smell like an Italian bakery?  Well, this bread ought to do the trick. The house smelled amazing while this was cooking.  Every time someone walked in, they were raving how wonderful it smelled.  I wish my house smelled like this every day. 

Stephanie's blog Dessert Before Dinner was where I found this recipe.  I've been meaning to make focaccia bread for a while now.  I'm so glad that because of the Secret Recipe Club, I was able to do it.  Stephanie's bread actually looks better than mine but ours tasted superb.  The kids dipped theirs into marinara sauce, my brother dipped his in some balsamic and oil and I ate mine just as it was. Super nummy.

Check out Stephanie's awesome blog.  Her Watermelon Jello Shots sound really interesting. So does her Spinach Ravioli with Butternut Squash Filling. I just LOVE the color of these and totally am going to make them.  

Tomato Focaccia
Adapted from Dessert Before Dinner

  • 1 oz or 1 1/2 tbsp. active dry yeast
  • 2/3 oz or 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp.salt
  • 2 lb or 8 cups bread flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tbsp. dried
  • water (about 2 - 3 cups)
  • tomatoes, basil, olives, Parmesan or feta cheese for garnish

  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix yeast, sugar, salt, flour, eggs, tomato paste and rosemary. Begin mixing and slowly add water as needed until a soft dough forms. It should still be heavy, but uniform and not wet. Knead until dough comes together. If you don't have a stand mixer (like me) just mix and knead in a bowl until it comes together. 
  2. Let dough rise in an oiled bowl for 1 hour or until doubled in size
  3. Remove dough and roll out to the size of a half sheet pan. Line large pan with parchment paper or silpat liner. The dough should be about half an inch thick when rolled out. I found the bread to be huge so next time I will break it into two loaves.  The one big loaf was fine though. 
  4. Oil the top of the dough and top it with thinly sliced tomatoes, Parmesan, basil, olives and feta cheese as desired. Let rise another hour. 
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until everything on the top is golden. My one large loaf took about 25 minutes. 
  6. Cool completely before serving, if you can resist the awesome smell!


  1. So glad you enjoyed this recipe. This is a favorite in my house as well (and one I have to make again soon). Thanks for the kind words in this SRC writeup.

  2. What a divine recipe - my weakness is bread! Great choice for SRC – glad to be part of group C with you!

  3. oh my! I would eat that all by Great choice! Fellow Group C'er

  4. Oh I love homemade foccacia! Yours turned out so pretty Debbi!