Monday, May 25, 2015

Pepper Jelly




Every year I go to the farmers market and buy pepper jelly.  I love it. I kept hearing how simple it was to make it but I'd never made jelly or jam before.  Actually, I've never canned anything. I saw my sister in law's recipe and I decided to give it a shot.  



I'm glad I did and it turned out awesome.  If you're scared of spicy, don't worry. It is an awesome blend of sweet and spicy.  My favorite way to eat it is probably with crackers.  With or without cream cheese is good.  I ate it for breakfast on toast for many days. 

I didn't can mine.  That was still intimidating for me.  I ate a whole bunch and gave some away so it all worked out well. 


I even threw some in a bowl of steamed veggies.  I loved it and it was fantastic!  I'm just sorry it took me so long to make it!  





Pepper Jelly Recipe
1 poblano pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 jalapeno peppers
2 anaheim pepper
1 orange habanero pepper
1 1/2 cups vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin


Remove stems, cores, and seeds from all of the peppers, chop them into large chunks. Put all peppers in food processor and process till finely chopped.

Put peppers and vinegar into big pot and bring to a boil. After about a minute, turn the temperature down and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Add sugar and turn heat up to medium high, and stir constantly while bringing it to a rapid boil. 

Remove from heat, add pectin. Stir well.

Pour jelly into sterilized jars, leaving about 1/8″ inch space on top. Wipe rims, place lids on top of each, and affix the rings. Water bath / process for 5 minutes.

Or just pour into jars and give away and use within a few weeks. I didn't process mine. 

Allow jars to cool.

If you want clear jelly just strain the peppers for juice (put a coffee liner on a metal strainer). Then just use the juice and add the sugar to the juice and proceed from there. I personally love the chunks in there though! 


No comments:

Post a Comment