Monday, April 20, 2015

Taco Pizza


With all the tex mex food we eat around here, you'd think that I would have made taco pizza, right? I've made burritos, chimichangas, fajitas, tacos, and enchiladas. I've even made homemade Churros. But never a taco pizza. 



What's even more incredulous about the fact that I have never made a taco pizza is that the Taco Pizza is probably my husbands favorite pizza. You know those pizza buffets?  Well he makes sure to always order a taco pizza for the buffet so he's sure to get it.  Yet, I've never made him one. 



Well, thanks to Heathers blog, It's Yummy to My Tummy, I found a taco pizza to make.  I found several recipes I'd love to make for the Secret Recipe Club but as soon as I saw the taco pizza, I was hooked. 

Heathers blog is chock full of wonderful recipes. We seem to have started blogging for similar reasons.  She says that she just likes to share recipes with friends and is often asked, "What is the recipe?" I used to get that all the time! This has been a great way to share recipes that I love with friends!  


One of my favorite parts of her recipe was the crust. I've made crust before and it wasn't TOO different but this crust was the best. It came together super easily and the texture out of the oven was perfect!  That's the part I've been disappointed with crusts, the texture.  It's always too crispy or not crispy enough. This was perfect! I actually made the crust again and made pizza again the next day for lunch for the kids.  Even they loved the crust.  This is for sure my go-to crust from now on. 



The taco pizza sauce really was amazing too. It is a combination of pizza sauce, taco sauce and refried beans.  It really is good.  Heather made her meat sauce a bit different than I did.  She did the traditional beef with taco season packet and water.  I make my taco meat using ground turkey, a couple tablespoons of taco seasoning, salsa and refried beans. I don't measure, I just add enough to make it look good. The kids don't even know they are eating beans in the taco meat.  You can use whatever taco meat recipe that you use.  I sometimes add some chipotle seasoning for a different taste.  



This pizza was amazing.  The crust was perfectly crunchy.  The sauce with the meat and oooey gooey cheese was amazing and the Doritos on top just made it perfect.  It looks messy but it really wasn't.  My husband has already requested it again. I'm sure it won't be too long before I make it again!





Taco Pizza

Taco Pizza Sauce:
  • 2/3 cup of taco sauce
  • 2/3 cup of pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup of refried beans
Taco Meat: (**see note below for alternate method)
  • 1 package of taco meat seasoning (about 1/4 cup taco seasoning) 
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 lb. of ground beef or ground turkey

  • 1 1/2 cups or so of taco blend cheese or mozzarella cheese
  • Pizza Crust (see below for recipe, or a pre-made crust) 
  • Toppings: 
  • Shredded lettuce
  • Chopped tomato (or could use salsa)
  • Doritos or similar taco chips, broken up
  • Optional toppings:
  • Sour cream
  • Sliced black olives
  • Diced onions
Prepare crust per recipe below or use a pre-made crust. Brown ground beef, drain fat if needed. Then add in water and taco meat seasoning and simmer for a few minutes.

Prepare taco pizza sauce by mixing together taco sauce, pizza sauce, and refried beans. Mix until smooth. 

Preheat your crust for 5 minutes at 425 if you haven't already. Top pizza crust with sauce. Add some of the taco meat, sprinkle with the taco blend cheese and layer with more taco meat. 

Place in a preheated 425-450 degree oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes. Then add your desired toppings of shredded lettuce, broken up Doritos chips, and chopped tomatoes.


Pizza dough/Crust recipe
Ingredients: 
1 package of dry yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups flour 


Dissolve yeast in warm water, sugar, salt, and flour. Add in 1 tbsp olive oil to mix dough until smooth. Roll into a ball and cover for about 15-20 minutes. Next divide the ball into two sections and roll out or spread onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan. I used a pan with a silpat liner.  Preheat the crust for 5 minutes before adding toppings.

**Alternate method for making taco meat: 
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
2 tbsp. taco seasoning
about 1 cup salsa
about 1/2 cup refried beans

Cook meat and add the rest and stir. I don't really measure here, I just throw it together until it looks good.  You can play around with flavors by using different salsas or you can add some chipotle seasoning.  











10 comments:

  1. This was one of my mom's favorite pizzas when she was alive. And who can blame her, what's not to love when you combine pizza and tacos?.Happy SRC day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we are constantly eating tex mex as well, and I too have never made a taco pizza. It looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tacos combined with pizza....a perfect combination! YUM! Happy SRC Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally screams "Monday Night Dinner!" Yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Debbie, I've never made taco pizza either although we eat tacos and pizza all the time! We had a fajita pizza once which was great, I can't wait to try this one and the crust~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard of taco pizza, but it sounds like a very interesting combination. I'll keep it in mind next time we have pizza night in our house. Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love taco pizza but never think of making it at home. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! My mom used to make taco pizza for us using biscuits. I've never made a taco pizza either even though we make homemade pizza fairly often. Visiting form Group C also

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making taco pizza, but I mix enchilada sauce with the refried beans for my base - so good - I think I need to make this Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Debbi!

    We love tacos and we love pizza - don't know why we haven't combined the two, but it's a great idea. So nice to stumble upon your blog again. I think it's been a few years since my last visit. Glad to see you're still blogging. If you get a chance, I'd love it if you'd stop by to visit my new blog platform.

    Take care,
    Patricia at ButterYum
    www.butteryum.org

    ReplyDelete