Monday, April 13, 2015

Pizza Stuffed Pasta Shells

It's hard to find something to make for dinner that everyone will eat.  There always seems to be one person in the house who will decide to make their own food because they don't like what I made.  Whatever, their choice, right?  

The two things that every one agrees on is pizza and pasta.  Most the time, I can't go wrong with one of those. Well, every night can't be pizza or pasta. (gosh, wouldn't that be nice!)  So here is a dish that combines the two.

I don't remember where I got the recipe, I didn't write it down. I'm bad like that. I usually just use recipes as guidelines anyways. I know that the original recipe put the pizza sauce on TOP of everything but I put it in the filling.  I thought it was a mistake and would make the filling to goopy. Not at all! I think it would have been too goopy and more like a casserole.  This way they were easier to eat individually and the filling was perfect.  

The filling is adaptable to your tastes.  Feel free to add some italian sausage or mushrooms or any other pizza toppings.  

These Pizza Stuffed Shells were awesome.  Everyone loved them and I only wish that I made more as they would have made delicious leftovers. 

Pizza Stuffed Shells

15 - 18 jumbo shells
1/2 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp. oregano
4 oz. pepperoni, chopped 
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup pizza sauce (I used spaghetti sauce)
2 cups mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Cook shells according to package directions.  Drain and set aside to cool. I like to spray with a bit of cooking spray so they won't stick together. 

Brown the ground turkey, onion and garlic.  Drain any fat. 

Add the pepperoni, green pepper, oregano and tomato. Cook about 3 or 4 minutes or until green pepper is slightly softened.  Add the pizza sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and stir until heated. 

Fill each shell with the pepperoni mixture and place in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake about 20 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella cheese.  Return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

**The original recipe called to put the pizza sauce on TOP of the noodles rather than to put it in the mixture. I put it in the mixture and enjoyed it that way but if you'd like, you can omit it from adding to the pepperoni mixture and put it on top of the noodles and then sprinkle with cheese.