Friday, April 17, 2015

Lemon Squares

First of all, I must apologize for only having one, not-so-great picture of these lemon squares. I remember making them and my kids just super eager to dig in and I told them to cut some and take a picture.  I thought I'd get back to them to take some more pictures.  Well, clearly that didn't happen. They didn't last long at all.  

I couldn't not post this recipe just because the picture isn't too great.  The shortbread crust is buttery and perfect and the filling is sweet and lemony.  They were amazing bars and I know that I'll make them again. Hopefully I'll remember to take better pictures. 


Lemon Squares

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

4 large eggs
5 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Mix the flour and powdered sugar in a bowl and add the melted butter. Mix until dough forms. Press the mixture firmly into a 9 x 13 in. pan lined with parchment paper. Bake the crust for 25 minutes. 

Make the filling: While the crust is baking, combine the eggs, lemon juice and zest until smooth.  Add the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Beat until smooth.  Pour the mixture over the baked crust.  Bake for 20 minutes more. 

Remove the pan from oven and let cool completely. Sprinkle the top with a bit of powdered sugar. Cut into squares and enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment