Monday, March 16, 2015

Spinach Bean Dip/Spread

I read a lot of food blogs and I think some of my favorite posts are the Game Day foods. I love snack foods, appetizers and dips.  I really, really love dips. 

I loved looking through Rachel's blog and her amazing recipes. I printed several recipes but finally decided on this amazing Spinach Bean Dip for The Secret Recipe Club.  First I loved the color. Who wouldn't want to eat a bright green dip, huh? 

So if you check out Rachel's blog, The Avid Appetite, she has a ton of awesome recipes.  She also posted on her Game Day post about a dip with fruit salsa and a bit of sour cream mixed.  We both agree that pineapple peach salsa is the best!  Can't wait to try this dip! Clearly she loves dips as much as me as she had several others;  Spinach Artichoke Dip, Pizza Dip, Greek Layer Dip, oh the list goes on. 

This Spinach Dip is super easy. Rachel used frozen spinach while I used fresh. Both would be fine. I just happened to have a bag in the fridge. LOVE the balsamic vinegar in this, I might have added a tweak more.  I made homemade whole wheat tortilla chips. I just cut some whole wheat tortillas, sprayed them lightly with cooking spray and added salt and garlic powder to them.  Baked them for about 12 minutes and they were perfect with this dip. 

There seemed to be some discussion between Rachel and her husband as to whether this is a dip or a spread.  Well, I'd have to agree with both of them. I used it both ways.  I ate it as a dip with my chips. The next day I spread it on bread and added cucumbers, onions, tomatoes and lettuce and it was a fantastic sandwich.  However you use it, just make it. It's awesome. 

Spinach Bean Dip/Spread Recipe
Adapted from The Avid Appetite 

1 tbsp. olive oil
6 - 8 oz. fresh spinach
2 cloves garlic
1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. You might need a tablespoon or two of water for consistency. 

The original recipe called to cook the spinach and garlic first, I chose to keep it raw and not cook it.

 Rachel likes to add some goat cheese to the mixture as well. I wanted to keep it vegan so I left the goat cheese out. 


  1. Can't tell if my comment went through...but I wrote: Such a gorgeous vibrant color! The perfect spring dip

  2. Oh this looks so fresh and good for you! I bet my son would love this..he loves anything that's green! Great SRC choice!

  3. Why have I never thought to add spinach to a bean dip - YUM! Perfect color for the start of spring.

  4. yay i'm so glad you made and enjoyed this recipe! i need to dig this one out of the archives, it's been years since i've made it :)

  5. So beautiful! Fantastic choice - making my favorite bean dip healthier is wonderful!

  6. This is my kind of dip! So delicious and looks wonderful. xo, Catherine

  7. Yes, please, and pass the chips.