Monday, February 9, 2015

Firecracker Chicken





My idea of a great date night is Chinese takeout with both of us eating right out of the little white boxes. No dishes required. I'll take a little of his and he can have a little of mine. Sounds heavenly. Except for the fact that I don't always know what is in the food and I always, always bloat from the salt the next day.  Hmm, so much for the perfect date night. 

I refuse to give up Asian food so I like to just make it myself. Just without the little white boxes.

This is certainly a labor of love. It does take time to cut and bread the chicken but it's completely worth it. I can make the sauce as spicy or sweet as I like and best of all, no bloat and I know exactly what is in the food. 




The name of this dish both excited me and scared me.  I love a little spice but don't like my mouth burned and often it doesn't take much to do that.  

This is really the perfect blend of sweet and spicy.  The original recipe said that she didn't put in as much sugar as she didn't want it too sweet. Well, I'm a sweet gal so I upped the sugar. I wish I hadn't.  It was fantastic but it it needed a bit more spice. The second batch I made was perfect.  Sweet sauce with just a little zip at the end.  I used buffalo sauce, yours might but more spicy if you use hot sauce. 







Firecracker Chicken Recipe
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe


  • Chicken:
  • 2-4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup cornstarch (or as much as you need to coat chicken)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Sauce:
  • 1/3 cup hot sauce, I used Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar (or up to 1/3 cup more if you like it sweeter)
  • 2 - 4 tablespoon water, enough to make it pourable
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a large ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken. Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through. Place in a single layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
  3. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce. Serve over hot, steamed rice.








10 comments:

  1. I am making this - soon. My boys love these types of spicy, saucy, homemade Chinese chicken dishes. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making take out recipes at home! Never tried firecracker chicken before but sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound great. And if it's not a labor of love, then why bother? ;-) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. I never eat at Chinese restaurants either...but would love to make my own. Thanks for the recipe. And thanks, especially, for being one of my awesome #TripleSBites bloggers. Hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look perfect! I'll take a big bowl, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome. Pinning for later! We love Chinese too, but the additives make me leery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing. I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making our Chinese at home, I make a very similar dish. Now I'm craving this....NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter would LOVE this recipe! Thanks Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good topic .This Great blog referring to good topic . It is very interesting . I like it because it has give me very useful information. thank you for sharing. High Blood Pressure Diet || Non Communicable Disease || Foods in Different Languages

    ReplyDelete