Monday, January 19, 2015

Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce



I love a good burger but I don't always want to eat meat.  I've made several different kinds before but this recipe is probably the easiest and the tastiest.  I really loved how they came together. 

As part of The Secret Recipe Club, I found this recipe on Amy's blog, The Savvy Kitchen. She has a very extensive recipe list, that even includes baby food.  I think that is so cool! She has a whole bunch of desserts to choose from and I know I'll be back to make a tasty treat! 



Amy made a cilantro lime cream sauce for her burgers. I swapped the ricotta for avocado as I wanted to keep these vegan.  They were delicious and will certainly make an appearance on my menu again!!





Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce Recipe
Adapted from The Savvy Kitchen

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 roasted red peppers, divided (I used jarred roasted peppers)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chipotle chile or more depending on your spice level
1 medium onion
1/3 - 2/3 cup panko (or more)
Salt and pepper

Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce

1 avocado (original recipe called for Ricotta)
1 lime
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper

Place half of the beans in food processor with a coarsely chopped bell pepper, the eggs, oregano, cumin and chipotle pepper.  Process until smooth.  Chop up the remaining bell pepper.  In a large bowl, lightly mash the rest of the beans.  Stir in the chopped pepper, onion, and smooth bean mixture.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Stir in the panko crumbs a bit at a time, mixing lightly just until the mixture firms up a bit. Chill the mixture for 30 minutes. 

To make the cilantro lime cream sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and process until smooth. 

Form the bean mixture into patties about 3 inches round.  Heat about a tablespoon or so of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties in batches, cooking until lightly browned and firm, about 3 - 4 minutes per side. Top the patties with corn relish or with avocado cream sauce. 










9 comments:

  1. Oooh I love everything about this recipe right down to the sauce. Avocado + lime + cilantro is a magical combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. These look amazing. I love both black beans and avocado so these are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Debbie, these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black bean burgers but my husband...not so much. I'll have to make these sometime and just sneak them into our dinner rotation. Great SRC post

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you chose this recipe! This was a favorite that I haven't made in so long. Love the idea of using avocado. I'll have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man. That avocado cilantro sauce sounds amazing. I will have to give these burgers a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this healthy version of a burger - very smart! Glad to be part of SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious alternative to the beef burger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think even my hubby would eat this ... and he hates black beans! As the commercial says, "Awesome sauce!"

    ReplyDelete