Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sour Cream Pancakes



 We had a giant tub of sour cream. One of those Costco ones. I didn't really want it but we needed sour cream for something so I bought it.  Well, now I was stuck with a ginormous tub of sour cream in my refrigerator.  

I had seen Pioneer Womans recipe for Edna Mae's sour cream pancakes. Edna Mae is her grandmother in law. Family recipes like this are usually precious and awesome.  Nothing like thinking of your grandmother making up pancakes many, many years ago. I don't have an old family pancake recipe so I thought I'd borrow hers. Plus, I really needed to use up the sour cream. 



It seemed like a lot of sour cream at first but then I figured it's basically just like sour cream replacing the milk. 



I made a batch early in the morning for my husband. He ate most of them and loved them.  He didn't know how they were made and he is absolutely NOT a sour cream fan. 

Next I made batch for my kids.  Well, Jacob woke up first and ended up eating the entire batch.  Then I made a third batch for Danielle and Jory.  Everybody loved them. Next time I will save myself some time and make a triple batch right at the start.  





Sour Cream Pancakes
Adapted from Pioneer Woman


  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 7 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  •  Butter, For Frying And Serving
  •  Warm Syrup, For Serving

In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
In a separate small bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sour cream with the dry ingredients until just barely combined (don't overmix.) Whisk in the egg mixture until just combined.
Heat a griddle over medium-low heat and melt some butter in the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cup servings onto the griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles start to form on the surface and edges are starting to brown. Flip to the other side and cook for another minute. (Pancakes will be a little on the soft side.)
Serve with softened butter and syrup.




No comments:

Post a Comment