Monday, November 3, 2014

Monkey Butter



Banana, pineapple and coconut gooey sweet spread.  What's not to love?

I think the name of this first appealed to me.  Telling the kids they were eating Monkey Butter made them giggle so much that they loved it before even trying it.  

The kids ate this on toast in the morning and I even put it on peanut butter sandwiches for them.  They thought it was fantastic.  I enjoyed it on rice cakes.  I ate a LOT of rice cakes the first week I made this. It is super sweet and incredibly tasty. 

I've heard you can try other tropical fruits in this, I've only tried it this way and love it. It sorta reminds me of a pina colada. With out the rum. Actually, rum would be really good in this.  That would be a fantastic adult version.  :-)




Monkey Butter Recipe

5 medium perfectly ripe bananas
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple, not drained
1/4 cup coconut
3 cups of white sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice

Peel and slice bananas and add them and the rest of the ingredients to a heavy saucepan.  

Bring to a boil, stirring often and then reduce to a simmer.  Cook until thick.  As the mixture thickens, stir super often until desired thickness is achieved.  

When thick, spoon mixture immediately into jars.  Process if you'd like. 



1 comment:

  1. This is so fun & sounds so good! Does the banana cause it to darken over time?

    ReplyDelete