Friday, October 3, 2014

Waffles with Apple Topping

I'm always skeptical when I see a recipe titled, "The Best..." I mean being the best something really is an opinion and I'm not so sure I want someone telling me that theirs is the best, you know?  That being said, these really are THE BEST waffles.  

I have been making homemade waffles for many, many years and my family loves waffles.  But there is something about this recipe that really is amazing.  They do take more time than other waffle recipes.  You have to whip the egg whites until they are stiff. Truth be told, I tend to avoid recipes that have me beat egg whites.  But I do it for these waffles.  Happily every time.  Because I know how awesome these waffles are.  I love the texture, the taste, everything.  I think they are The Best.  

Today I felt like something other than just warm syrup.  Apples seemed perfect for a cooler fall morning.  The apple topping comes together super quickly, especially if you don't peel the apples.   Then of course a bit of whipped cream never hurt either, right?  

Waffles with Apple Topping
Waffles from Pioneer Woman

  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 1-1/2 cup Milk
  • 2 whole Egg Yolks
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 teaspoon (additional) Vanilla Extract
  • 1 stick (1/2 Cup) Salted Butter, Melted
  • 4 whole Egg Whites

Preheat the waffle iron to the regular setting.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, 2 egg yolks, and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and very gently stir until halfway combined. Pour in the melted butter and continue mixing very gently until combined.
In a separate bowl use a mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff. You can use a whisk if you have a lot of upper body strength. Slowly fold them into the batter, stopping short of mixing them all the way through.
Scoop the batter into your waffle iron in batches and cook according to its directions.  Remove and serve immediately.

Apple Topping

  • 3 apples
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon flour
  1. Chop the apples into small pieces. I don't bother to peel but you can if you want. 
  2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, add apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
  3. Cook on low for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the teaspoon flour. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until apples are soft.
  4. Serve warm over pancakes or waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment