Monday, October 6, 2014

Virginia Street Banana Bread



When it comes to Banana Bread, Veronica is the queen.  She is my go-to baker.  Especially if I'm going to make a banana bread. 

This is a blue ribbon winning banana bread and Veronica made a whole bunch of these to sell.  Yea, this had to be good. 


I was looking for a banana bread with nuts and this didn't fail to deliver.  I think I might have even put in more nuts than I was supposed to.  Love that crunch! 

The banana bread had a wonderful texture and I can't wait to make it again. 





Virginia Street Banana Nut Bread


1 ½ cups (13 oz peeled) mashed ripe bananas
1 tbsp. melted butter, divided
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups (8 1/2 oz) all-purpose flour
1 cup (8 oz) granulated sugar plus 1-2 teaspoons, divided
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts, I used pecans

Preheat oven to 325 f and grease a large 9x5 loaf pan; set aside.

Mix bananas, 1 teaspoon of the melted butter, oil, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl until well mixed. Blend flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and add to banana mixture. Stir until mostly mixed, then add nuts, reserving some for the top, and pour mixture into a large 9 x 5 greased loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining nuts & sugar over top of loaf, then drizzle remaining melted butter over. Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Mine needed a few more minutes.

Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and finish cooling on wire rack until completely cooled.  Loaf is even better next day.

Makes 1 loaf.



1 comment:

  1. I am with you Debbi, if I ever need a sweet bread recipe, I always go to V's site first. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete