Monday, October 20, 2014

Strawberry and Vanilla Pound Cake


This is a tasty sweet bread with strawberries and vanilla and a delicious glaze.  With a bite of strawberry in every bite this is a wonderful bread. or cake. Whatever it's called, it's awesome. 



This month for The Secret Recipe Club, I was able to look through Annie's Noms.  Annie has a huge variety of recipes on her blog and I found plenty that I enjoyed.  I plan to make her Sundried Tomato Antipasto Skewers for my next appetizer party.  I wanted to make her Simple Peach Cake this month but I never got around to getting some fresh peaches. 



I packed this in my husbands lunch and gave him extra for his coworkers.  If I don't give it away we tend to eat too much here and  we were for sure in danger of that with this.  It was so delicious, I wanted to eat more and more. Seriously good stuff. 





Strawberry and Vanilla Pound Cake
Adapted from Annie's Noms

  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 and 1/2 cups cake flour (if you don't have it, for every 1 cup of plain flour, remove 2 tbsp and replace with cornstarch, then sift together to create cake flour)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups diced, fresh strawberries

  • Glaze:
  • 2/3 cup icing sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2tbsp water
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F and grease and line a loaf pan.
  2. Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
  4. Place the flour, baking powder and strawberries into a medium sized bowl and stir until the strawberries are coated in flour. (This will stop them sinking to the bottom of the cake).
  5. Add in the sour cream and flour mix and mix on slow until well combined and smooth.
  6. Pour the batter into the greased and lined loaf tin and place in the oven for 70-75 minutes, until risen, golden and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
  7. Leave cake to cool in the pan completely.










9 comments:

  1. looks and sounds divine~ I freeze things like this so we have a little now and a little later :) Visiting from SRC~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing! Pound cake is a favorite in our house. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i LOVE pound cake, but somehow never think to make it! this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could seriously eat a lot of this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful. I wish strawberries were a little less expensive at this time of year, however. Great SRC post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YUMMMS. I've never put fresh strawberries in a cake, but it sounds perfect for a pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making pound cakes and quick breads. So good. So easy to give away!!! This one looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love bread like this, because I feel like you can get away with eating it for breakfast, but it totally tastes like cake. How can you go wrong with "cake" for breakfast? :)

    ReplyDelete