Sunday, September 14, 2014

One Pot Mexican Rice and Beans - Arroz Mexicano

It's funny, what my family considers a side dish, is totally a main dish for me.  I grilled some chicken for the meat eaters but I was totally cool with this hearty rice and bean dish.  

This month I found a bunch of great recipes from Nayna's blog Simply Food for the Secret Recipe Club. She has a lot of great meatless recipes that I love!  I chose this dish because I knew it was something the rest of the family would eat too. It exceeded my expectations. I knew it would be good but the spices were spot on for flavor.  I absolutely loved the potatoes in it. It seemed odd at first to put potatoes with rice but it was wonderful and I know for sure I'll make it again. The only change I would make it to use brown rice instead of white rice. Add some more water if you're going to make that change.  

One Pot Mexican Rice Recipe
Adapted from Simply Food

8 oz white basmati rice
2 cups  boiling water
8 oz precooked cannelloni beans
1 green or red pepper finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 large carrot peeled and grated
2 medium potatoes peeled and finely diced
4 oz precooked sweetcorn kernels
2 oz finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
1 teaspoon chili powder

1. Wash the rice and soak it in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. In a large pan heat the oil when it is hot add the onions and sauté them on low heat until translucent.
3. Drain the rice and add it to the onions and sauté the rice until all the grains are coated in the oil.
4. Add the carrots, potatoes,cannelloni beans, peppers and sweet corn. Mix the vegetables with the rice.
5. Add the salt, chilli powder,cumin powder and coriander powder and half the amount of fresh cilantro.(reserve other half for garnish) Stir all the spices into the rice and vegetables.
6. Add 2 cups water to the rice and bring the rice to a slow boil.
7. Once rice is boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with the lid.
8.Cook the rice on low setting for about 20 - 25 minutes.(During this time do not open the pan lid)
9.  When it's done, all the water will have been absorbed with the rice and grains should be soft and fluffy.
10. Garnish the rice with remaining fresh cilantro.


  1. I'm with ya! A big ole' plate of beans and rice would be just fine for my main course.

  2. This looks wonderful! Potatoes too? Sounds delicious and filling and perfect!

  3. I'm totally with you - I love side dishes sometimes way more than the main and would rather eat it as my dinner. This look so flavorful and a great recipe to get out of the dinner slump.

  4. This is fab, I would totally be happy with just a plate of this and no "main"!

  5. What a fantastic side dish. I could make a meal out of just this!!

  6. What a great rice dish - I bet the flavors were amazing!!!!

  7. I can't get enough of those one-pot wonders

  8. Debbie I am so glad you enjoyed the rice. Thankyou for cooking from my blog.