Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Beer Battered Fried Pickles with NOT KETCHUP Dipping Sauce - #10DaysofTailgate


We just got back from the State Fair and ate lots of deep fried food.  Well, I guess we still had a taste for it because later that week we made more deep fried food.  I'd been meaning to make deep fried pickles for awhile.  We ordered them at a restaurant not so long ago and everyone loved them. When I saw Reeni's recipe, I knew we'd be making them right away.  



My kids ate them plain but I loved the sauce with them.  I'm a huge ketchup and mayo fan though. Just to change it up a bit, I used some Cherry Chipotle NOT Ketchup.  They have other flavors too but I thought the Cherry Chipotle would be perfect. 

I went easy on the beer in case the kids didn't like the taste, I used about 3/4. But you couldn't taste the beer at all so I would recommend putting in all of it. So for this years tailgating party, go ahead and have something deep fried and try these amazing pickles. 



If you haven't already, check out the giveaway that #10DaysofTailgate is having. So many prizes!  ThermoWorks is giving away a ThermoPop pocket thermometer. Firewire Grilling is giving away 2 Flexible Grill Skewers and 2 Double Prong Skewers!  And many more prizes too!





Beer Battered Fried Pickles with Pickle Dipping Sauce Recipe
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice


Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons NOT Ketchup (or just regular ketchup)
3 teaspoons minced onion
1 teaspoon white vinegar


Pickles:
1 large egg
12 ounces beer or club soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil, for frying
2 jars (minus the ones you used for the sauce) Vlasic Farmer's Market® Kosher dill spears or chips, drained and patted dry with paper towels




  • Whisk the mayo, ketchup and vinegar together. Refrigerate.

  • Make the Batter:



  • In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg, beer and baking powder together. Whisk in the flour slowly, then the salt and continue whisking until smooth.


  • Fry the Pickles:




  • Fill a Dutch oven or a big pan with 1 to 1 + 1/2 inches of oil. Heat over medium heat to 340 - 350 degrees F.




  • Dip pickle slices one at a time into the batter and carefully slide them into the hot oil. Fry the pickles in batches, 4 - 5 minutes or until golden.




  • Drain on paper towels or wire racks and serve hot and fresh with the pickle sauce. If they sit around they get soggy.



  • Here's what the rest of the team brought to the table...

    Starters
    DBLT Wraps by Miss Laura’s Kitchen
    Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by From Gate to Plate
    Curried Duck Mini Meat Pies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures

    Dips
    Hot Mexican Quinoa Dip by The Pajama Chef

    Mains
    Pretzel Dogs ElDiablo by A  Day in the Life on the Farm
    Carrot Habanero Duck Meatballs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen

    Sweets 


    Quince Butter Thumbprint Cookies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla


    8 comments:

    1. Those look soo good!! I was wanting to do fried pickles, and it just hasn't come together for me - but my hubby and son are anxious for me to give them a try. We get them once or twice a year when we're out and always love them, such a yummy treat. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've never seen a fried pickle, and now I crave my first bite. Crisp and crunchy are what I expect in pickles, but beer-battered and deep-fried have my taste buds tingling in anticipation.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Never tried these! They look like the perfect tailgate bite.

      ReplyDelete
    4. YUM! That's about the only thing I haven't tried in my deep fryer - need to fix that! But now I need to see the jalapeno beer cheese soup - yum!!

      FYI, I make sliced fried jalapenos pretty much the same way - great on burgers for an extra spicy crunch. :D

      ReplyDelete
    5. Not Ketchup plus fried pickles - I might just ask you to marry me. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. I've never had fried pickles. They keep popping up, so they must be good. I'll have to try these!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I am officially in love with the cherry chipotle sace.

      ReplyDelete