Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Spicy Chicken Filet Sandwiches - Wendy's




My family likes different amounts of spice.  My brother probably can handle the most spice. He puts hot sauce on most everything I make.  Should I be insulted or does he really like things that spicy?

I like things somewhere in the middle.  Spicy enough to leave a zing in my mouth but not so that I can't taste anything else. 

Then there are my kids, they are getting so much better but they still like things pretty mild. 



I loved the idea of dipping the chicken in hot sauce.  Brilliant. You could probably use any hot sauce but I am partial to Franks. 


I like using chicken tenders.  I buy them at Sam's Club and I love them.  They are perfectly sized. 



Oh, interestingly, I used to manage a Wendy's.  Like a million years ago.  Seems like it at least.  My brother came upstairs and said, "Didn't you make enough Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches?" Haha.  I might have made a lot of them but I sure love them!  



These really do taste like Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches.  I would say they are medium spicy.  If you wanted your mouth to burn a bit more, maybe add a bit more cayenne to the flour.  I thought these were perfect.  



Wendy's Spicy Chicken Filet Sandwich Recipe
Adapted from Fantastical Sharing

1/3 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Pepper Sauce
2/3 cup water
1 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
4 chicken breasts or about 8 tenderloins
Buns 
Toppings: Mayo, lettuce and tomatoes

Combine hot sauce and water in a bowl.

Combine the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder in another bowl. 

Coat each piece of chicken in flour mixture.

The dredge in diluted hot sauce. 

Then coat in the flour mixture again. 

Heat oil in a pan.  Fry chicken for about 8 - 12 minutes or until they are light and crispy.  I fried both sides and cut one with a knife to make sure it was done. If it wasn't done, I just covered them for about 2 - 3 minutes and they were perfect. 

Toast buns on a pan or in the toaster.  Serve with toppings or eat as is. 




2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious Debbi! I love the part about dipping them in the hot sauce too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches! I definitely have to make these.

    ReplyDelete