Monday, August 11, 2014

Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich





A healthy meat free sandwich that you don't have to feel guilty about eating. 

I'm all about quick meals. I can't handle meat and cheese most days so I am always trying to find new sandwich concoctions. 



Chickpeas are a staple around here. When they are on sale, it's actually kinda embarrassing how many cans I buy at a time.



This filling reminds me of tuna or chicken salad. It is a similar texture.  It comes together super fast and is so, so easy.  




Plus I think that smashing beans is rather therapeutic.  You get to just grind and smash all your frustrations away.  Well, it does help a bit at least.  



You can put more toppings on this sandwich if you'd like. I sometimes will add red onions and tomato but usually just spinach works good for me.  






Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich Recipe
Adapted by Two Peas in Their Pod

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
Whole wheat bread
Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.


1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. 
2. In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves. Makes about 4 sandwiches.



1 comment:

  1. I like the combo of avocado and chickpea as the sandwich filling. They look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete