Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sesame Chicken - Gluten Free


I bought a big package of chicken tenderloins from Sam's Club. I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do with it. Then my sister in law posted this recipe for Sesame Chicken.  Yep, I knew that this is what I would do with the chicken. 

I had all the ingredients, the only thing I subbed out was brown rice flour and she used white flour. Still gluten free and still delicious.  You can sub all purpose flour for the gluten free flours but these flours really so shine together to make the perfect tasting breading.

The one thing I didn't have was sesame seeds. I know, how do you make Sesame Chicken without sesame seeds?  Well, it worked for us and really was much better than take out Chinese. 








Sesame Chicken Recipe
Adapted from Celebration Generation


Batter:
3/4 cup garbanzo flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 cup water or chicken broth
Sauce:
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
1 Tsp ginger (i used from a jar)
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Chicken:
4 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into chunks
1/4 cup additional garbanzo bean flour
2 Tbsp Sesame seeds (I failed to have these)
In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, and sesame oil. Add broth and stir well to form a thick batter. Let the batter to sit for about 5 minutes
In a saucepan, whisk the sauce ingredients together until smooth. Heat and simmer until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat, set aside while you fry the chicken.
Heat about an inch of oil in large pan.
Toss chicken chunks with additional garbanzo flour, then dredge in the batter. Carefully transfer battered chicken pieces to the preheated oil, cooking in batches. Fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Transfer fried chicken to paper towels.
Once all chicken is fried, toss with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired, and serve immediately.


1 comment:

  1. That's quite possibly my favorite Chinese dish, but it spikes my blood sugar so much, and I can't stop at just a tiny serving. Hope you had a nice holiday weekend Debbi!

    ReplyDelete