Friday, August 15, 2014

Cherry Dark Chocolate Chip Bread

Cherries and chocolate just belong together, don't you think?  

A friend gave me a loaf of this bread many months ago. I'm thankful that she included the recipe!  The bread was amazing and I soon had to make a loaf of my own. My daughter is often asking me to make it again. 

The day I made this I didn't have any powdered sugar. Oops!  So I didn't make the glaze.  I will for sure include the glaze (and some better pictures).

Cherry Dark Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe

2 cups (8.5 oz) all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup dark chocolate morsels or chips
1 10 oz. jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped

Glaze, optional
1 cup powdered sugar,sifted
2 - 3 tbsp. maraschino cherry juice

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour loaf pan. 
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in bowl.  
In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs and extract until light and fluffy. 
Add flour mixture and buttermilk to wet ingredients, alternating and ending with flour.  Beat until just blended after each addition. 
Fold in the dark chocolate chips and cherries.  (first dredge the cherries in a bit of flour to keep them from sinking)
Pour into pan.  Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove from pan and cool.  
Once completely cool, top with glaze. 


  1. This sounds delicious. Cherries and chocolate definitely go together. Although, I'd never thought about making a loaf of bread out of them. Love the idea. I will have to give this a try.
    Kristin @ Holy Cannoli Recipes

  2. My Dad used to make a cherry and chocolate bundt cake every year at Christmas - it is the perfect combo!

    Have a great weekend!