Monday, August 18, 2014

Brandied Yams with Pecan Crumble Topping



I can hardly resist a sweet potato recipe. Or yams.  I haven't actually figured out which are which.  As soon as I think I have it figured out which is which, my grocery store changes signs on me. I'm not sure they even know which is which. I know that I like the orange ones. I don't mind the others but the orange ones are my favorite.  

So while perusing Lisa's blog Authentic Suburban Gourmet this month for The Secret Recipe Club, I found this Brandied Yam recipe.  It was love at first sight. It looked creamy, buttery and sugary and I knew I had to make it. I was hoping to make her Chocolate Banana Bread for dessert but I didn't have quite enough bananas.  


Much as I wanted the sugary, buttery potatoes, I did try to cut the butter and sugar a bit. My potatoes yielded a bit less than hers too. I also tried to make it a vegan side dish before I realized that my brandy wasn't vegan.  Whoops, I'm still learning.  

It turned out fantastic and we all loved it.  






Brandied Yams with Pecan Crumble Topping
Adapted from Authentic Suburban Gourmet

8 medium yams or sweet potatoes (about 5 cups after cooked)
2 tbsp. Earth Balance or butter
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 1/2 tbsp. brandy
scant 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Pecan Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
4 tbsp. Earth Balance or butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 c. flour (I used gluten free)
1/4 c. oats
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Cut each yam in half lengthwise and lay cut side down flat on the foil.  Poke with a fork, so they won't explode.  Bake 60 - 75 minutes until tender. Let cool a bit. Use a large spoon and scoop out into a large bowl.

Add melted butter, maple syrup, brandy, cinnamon and salt. Using a mixer, whip the yams together until fluffy.  

Place into a baking dish and spread evenly. 

Topping:

Ina medium bowl, add the pecans, brown sugar, flour, oats and salt.  Mix together.  Add the butter and work butter into the mixture until it is combined and crumbly.

Spread the topping over the yam mixture.  Cook at 350 for about 30 - 40 minutes or until the topping is slightly browned. 








7 comments:

  1. You picked a SUPER recipe! One of my favorites - it is repeated many times during the holidays! It was inspired by the side dish at Ruth Chris. Thank you again for your help this month with the links!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fantastic, now I am anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Looks wonderful. I would love the crumble topping =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes (yams?) too! I don't know which are which either-haha! This sounds soooooo delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I am on board with this one Debbi - while I am just starting to like sweet potatoes, I need a spicy factor to offset the sweetness - sending this to my Momma though - I think she'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yeah. LOVE sweet taters and especially made this way. Reminds me of Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete