Monday, July 14, 2014

Veggie Sandwich with Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus

This is an amazing vegetarian sandwich with a tasty cilantro lime jalapeno hummus with tasty vegetables. 

This is a similar sandwich that Panera serves at their restaurant. It's my favorite sandwich there. I order it without the feta cheese to keep it dairy free. 

I eat these sandwiches so often that these vegetables are staples in my refrigerator now. 

I buy chickpeas in bulk.  Seriously, I have a lot of cans of beans here.  A. Lot. 

I loved the sandwich so much from Panera that I looked up what was exactly in it. The Panera website said there were Peppadew Peppers on it. I had never heard of them and had trouble finding them.  I found them at the olive bar at both Byerlys and Whole Foods. I've seen them on amazon in a jar but they were quite spend.

These are basically picked spicy peppers. I think. I do know that a couple of these chopped up on one of these sandwiches is super delicious and these too, have become a staple in the house.  Luckily we live near Whole Foods and Byerlys. 

I usually toast the bread before I put the hummus on. Just a personal preference. 

I keep both lettuce and spinach on hand usually. I prefer spinach on sandwiches, though sometimes I do both. I'm still trying to get the rest of the family on the spinach train. 

There is a big debate over the thickness of cucumbers in this house.  I like mine pretty thick but a couple others in the house insist that their cucumbers be super thin. It doesn't matter, just don't miss them, they rock on this sandwich. 

There are several different kinds of bread that I use for these sandwiches. My favorite are the Whole Wheat Sandwich round thins.  I also sometimes will go to Panera and buy a whole loaf of their tomato basil bread. This bread is amazing and you can get a ginormous loaf for like $5 at Panera. Totally worth it for a treat. 

The tomato basil bread is huge and makes an enormous sandwich. It's so, so very good though. 

No matter what bread you use or what veggies you use, this is an amazing veggie sandwich that is tasty and filling. 

Veggie Sandwich with Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus

Sandwich ingredients:
Red onion
Peppadew Peppers

Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
6 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. water
3 - 4 garlic cloves
2 cans chickpeas
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. tahini
2 - 3 jalapenos, seeded (I use about 2 large)
1/2 cup cilantro

Place everything for hummus in a food processor and process until smooth.  You can add a bit of water if it's too thick but you don't want it too thin.

Spread bread with hummus. Top with desired toppings. 

Linked with  Real Food Wednesday!


  1. Are all of your recipes 500 calories?

    1. Chefkathleen, you can check every recipe on This sandwich is full of vitamin C and vitamin D!