Monday, July 28, 2014

Avocado Egg Rolls with Cashew Dipping Sauce



These are a copycat recipe from The Cheesecake Factory.  I've never had these egg rolls before and I've never been to the Cheesecake Factory.  I know, cheesecake is probably my favorite food in the whole wide world and I've never been to The Cheesecake Factory. Go figure. 



I've also never made egg rolls.  Can you tell by the fact that I wrapped them wrong?  I folded them more like a burrito.  I didn't read the directions on the package until AFTER I had folded them.  Actually, I've made these several times and I folded them the "right" way the second time and I actually liked them better this way. 


I never bothered to make egg rolls before as I thought they would be too much work. I was pleasantly surprised how easy these were and how quick everything came together. 



The cashew dipping sauce was certainly good but there was so much flavor with just the egg rolls, that they didn't NEED it.  We've eaten these without the sauce and love them. 



Make sure your avocado isn't too mushy. I made them once with mushy avocado and the texture was a bit off.  Avocados can be annoying.  They go from almost ripe to overripe so stinking fast. 



We ate these with Kung Pao Chickpea Tacos and they were fantastic.  Now that I know that egg rolls aren't difficult to make, I'm sure I'll be trying new combinations. 






Avocado Egg Rolls with Cashew Dipping Sauce
recipe from Closet Cooking

  • 2 large avocados, diced
  • 4 sundried tomatoes packed in oil, sliced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice (1/2 lime)
  • 8 egg rolls
  • 1 egg white or water


Cashew Dipping Sauce
  • 2 tbsp. cup oil
  • 1/4 cup cashews, chopped or ground
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
  • chili sauce sauce or sriracha to taste
  • salt to taste

  1. Mix the avocado, sundried tomatoes, red onion cilantro and lime juice, divide the mixture between the egg roll wrappers and roll them sealing with the egg white or water works fine too.
  2. Heat some oil in a small pan over medium-high heat add the egg rolls and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3-5 minutes and set aside on paper towels to drain.
  3. CASHEW Dipping sauce
  4. Puree the oil, cashews, tamarind, balsamic vinegar, honey, cilantro, garlic, ginger, chili sauce and salt in a food processor.

Linked with Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop

2 comments:

  1. very delicious and healthy too. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you need to go to a Cheesecake Factory at least once - the portions are as big as your head - I've easily gotten three meals out of one!

    Love this dish - making egg rolls is so easy, isn't it?! I don't know why I didn't make them sooner too!

    Thanks for the clarification on the voting - I guess it helps to read all the words?! :D Hugs!

    ReplyDelete