Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Almond Blueberry Waffles



I woke up craving waffles. Tasty waffles. I've never been a big fan of just regular waffles.  With a whole bunch of blueberries in the refrigerator, I knew that blueberry was the way to go.

I first knew that I wanted to make these egg and dairy free but then I thought, why not gluten free as well.  I have a whole cupboard full of gluten free flours that need to be used so why not. I would imagine that you could substitute all purpose flour with similar results. 

I wanted to go with lemon blueberry but alas, no lemons.  So we went with almond. 

These turned out really well.  Not the prettiest waffles in the world but quite tasty and definitely cured the craving for waffles.




Almond Blueberry Waffles Recipe
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch 
  • 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
  • 2 flax eggs (2.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 Tbsp water)
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp sugar 
  • 2/3 cup blueberries 


  1. Combine almond milk and vinegar in a large liquid measuring cup or small mixing bowl and let set for a few minutes to curdle/activate. Then add melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, and agave nectar or maple syrup and whisk. Set aside.
  2. Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries.
  4. Once waffle iron is hot coat with non-stick spray or vegan butter and pour on about ⅓ cup of batter. Cook according to manufacturer instructions.
  5. Serve immediately with desired toppings. 
  6. Suggested toppings: almond butter or vegan butter,  bananas, blueberries, maple syrup.




2 comments:

  1. These look great Debbi - I have become a huge fan of Unsweetened almond milk - I use it in just about everything that calls for milk - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete