Monday, June 30, 2014

Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Bacon Grilled Sandwich - The Elvis

Peanut butter and honey is one of my sons favorite sandwiches.  The other day he asked if I would make it like a grilled cheese.  That sounded awesome.  I suggested maybe he put banana on it too.  His eyes lit up and he said, "BACON!!!"  I love this kid.  

I understand that peanut butter, banana and bacon is known as "The Elvis". I guess he frequently ate these.  Elvis was a bit before my time and way before my sons time yet he clearly lives on in this house with the sandwich that he loved. 

From what I've seen, honey is not on a traditional Elvis sandwich. However, he was known to like grape jelly. We decided  to stick with honey. 

Elvis apparently at his sandwiches with either sliced banana or mashed banana.  I thought about mashing it but just thought this would be easier.  Although, I can see where mashed banana might make this even more ooey gooey. 

Bacon of course, if the star of the show. The saltiness and crispness of the bacon is perfect with the honey sweetened peanut butter.  The banana is almost an unexpected surprise as you bite into the sandwich.  

I think Elvis might have been onto something.  Seriously rocking sandwich. 

Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Bacon Grilled Sandwich Recipe

2 tbsp. peanut butter, chunky or creamy
1/2 banana, sliced
2 pieces of bacon
2 pieces whole wheat bread

Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread.  Spread peanut butter one one of the unbuttered sides of bread.  Place the piece with peanut butter on a hot pan, butter side down.  Pour a bit of honey on top of the peanut butter.  Place banana slices on top of the honey. Top with bacon.  Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side down.  By now,  your sandwich is probably toasted on the bottom. Carefully flip the sandwich.  Cover and wait about 10 seconds and turn off heat. Let sit in covered pan for 2 - 3 minutes to get all melty and gooey.  Remove from pan and enjoy!


  1. Bacon makes everything better! Happy that you'd drive me to the airport but NOT Tony - love it! :D

  2. Such a classic for a reason! Great sandwich!