Monday, May 19, 2014

Vegetarian Salsa Chili

It's cold.  It's the middle of May and it is COLD.  Rainy, grey, damp and cold. I need something warm.  Soup or chili always hits the spot on a cool day. Even in May.

I have met so many awesome food bloggers through the Secret Recipe Club.  Most of the blogs I go to are new and I love to find new blogs.  This month I was just tickled to see that my secret blogger assignment was for a blog that I totally love, Veronica's Cornucopia.  Veronica is the baking queen.  She has won dozens of state fair ribbons for her baked goods.  She even made like 437 banana breads, just to see which one she liked best.  That's baking dedication.  I stalk go to Veronica's blog every time I want to bake something new.

I almost made her Pumpkin Spice Bagels. I had all the ingredients and so meant to make them as well but I'll just have to get to them next week. My son loves anything pumpkin and can't wait for me to make them. 

I made a different chili a couple of months ago and wasn't impressed.  I sorta got out of the mood for chili after that.  I wanted to find a good vegan recipe to make and knew that Veronica's chili wouldn't disappoint. Well, I was right. This chili rocked!  I didn't change much in the recipe at all. It was super thick, just how I like it.  Super packed with veggies and perfect flavor. I did opt not to add the spicy pepper as I like my chili with a mild zip but not too spicy. 

Fully Loaded Vegetarian Salsa Chili

Adapted from Veronica's Cornucopia
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 orange or yellow pepper, seeded and diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 ½ cups salsa
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 (15.5 oz) cans white beans (great Northern or navy) , drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.25 oz) can corn, drained
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel)
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped, seeds included (optional, I didn't use)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
Salt to taste
Optional toppings: cilantro, shredded cheddar, sour cream, avocado, limes for squeezing over individual bowls
Add the carrots and garlic to a food processor and process until very fine, about a minute, stopping to scrape down the sides. Add to a stock pot along with the remaining ingredients, except for the cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for an hour or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally. You can simmer as long as you want but I'd recommend at least an hour. Serve as it is or with optional toppings.


  1. I did something I've never done before on SRC reveal day - I was clicking through each post in the link-up, not even looking for who might have had me. I actually clicked this before realizing I recognized the name of the chili - lol! So glad you liked this! Esp since I created it-extra proud moment! :D I haven't had chili since giving birth b/c early on Joshua seemed to have more sensitivity to what I ate (tomatoes and spicy being two things) but come this winter, it's back on!

  2. It's still cold here in Calgary too, I feel you. This chili sounds perfect!

  3. This looks wonderful. I can't believe it's cold where you live. Perfect weather for chili, though.

  4. Chilly here, but will have to wait to make this chili. Look at all those wonderful veggies and spices.

  5. This sounds great! Perfect for this chilly weather! We haven't had a spring yet here in Chicago area, and I'm wondering if we will have summer.

  6. What a wonderful salsa and so good for you! Hope that it begins to warm up in your home town! It was toasty last week in the Bay Area and today it is a bit chilly. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!

  7. Love me some good chili recipes and this one really looks delicious!