Monday, May 5, 2014

Brazilian Cheese Rolls - Pao de Queijo



I've become a bit obsessed with these rolls. I've made them 4 times now. Each time I've made them a little bit different. All the recipes that I've found are just a little bit different. The recipe I am sharing is probably the easiest one that I've made. 

I first made these with my BBQ Bacon Meatloaf and they were perfect with it. 


I like how everything is just mixed in my food processor and then just poured into the muffin tins.  Easy peasy. 

These are made with Tapioca Flour.  This is the only flour for these rolls, there isn't any other flour to substitute.  Tapioca flour is easy to find and I love how these are naturally gluten free. 


I've played around with the cheeses and the spices. I believe that parmesan is the main cheese normally used in these Brazilian rolls.  My favorite though is a combination of parmesan and sharp cheddar.  Or just parmesan.  I really love them both.  


I loved the texture of these rolls. They are a sturdy almost dense roll. They are very different from anything else I've made. I tried to use these to make mini meatloaf sandwiches but they do sink quite a bit.  It worked but didn't make for a great picture.  

Most of the recipes said that they are best fresh and don't reheat well, but I thought they were great the next day.  These are fantastic to snack on and I know I'll be making them again and again!





Brazilian Cheese Rolls Recipe (Pao de Queijo)

1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup tapioca flour (10 oz)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place egg, milk, oil, tapioca flour and salt in blender and blend until smooth.  Add cheese and pulse like 2 times.  Immediately pour batter into a non stick muffin tin. Fill each about 3/4 full.  Feel free to sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese and a touch of salt on top of the muffins.  I also topped some with garlic powder and some with a bit of dried rosemary for some different flavors. 

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until puffed and golden.  Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before removing rolls from pan.


2 comments:

  1. WOW! These look SO yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete