Monday, April 21, 2014

Twinkie Pie


I do realize that Twinkies should not belong on this blog. I know that my main purpose for this blog was to share and create healthy recipes.  But come on, with all the Twinkie and Hostess hoopla lately, I just couldn't help myself.  What's up with that anyways? One minute a friend of mine if selling her Twinkies on Ebay for hundreds of dollars and the next minute I'm making a pie with them.  Go figure. 


The Secret Recipe Club is interesting. Sometimes we get to visit brand new blogs but other times we get blogs that we know and love.  Either way it is tons of fun and a great way to get to know another food blogger. This month I got to visit Erin from Making Memories with your kids. I have made many recipes of hers and have many more bookmarked.


I found this recipe for Twinkie Pie before I even knew she was my secret blogger!  I saw it and knew it would be a fun recipe to make with the kids.  Yes, I know, it's not healthy. At all. But with all the kids here, everyone got to enjoy one small slice for a fun treat.




Not only was this a fun pie to make but it was also delicious!  It is like a vanilla custard all over the Twinkies.  Most of it went to the kids but I did manage to steal one quick bite. It seriously had been a long, long time since I had a Twinkie.





Twinkie Pie
Recipe from Making Memories with your kids

1 box of Twinkies (10 individual cakes)
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. vinegar
Pie crust (either pre-made or homemade)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the beaten eggs, melted butter, sugar, vanilla and vinegar in a large bowl. Cut the Twinkies into about 6 pieces each. Get the kids to do this, they'll love it. Gently fold the Twinkies into the egg mixture. Spoon into the pie shell and bake for 38 minutes or until the top and crust is golden brown.  Serve chilled.  Whipped cream is good too!








8 comments:

  1. What a very, very interesting pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love "Twinkie Pie" on a blog that talks about healthy dinner. So funny. But this still looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Erin's blog, she has so many fun recipes and crafts! This actually sounds amazing and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - Twinkies are my guilty pleasure.....I am in trouble with this one. :)

    Chris (melecotte.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet this one would be a hit with any kid! Will have to make it next time my niece sleeps over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously? A Twinkie pie. I know I will never make this because I would EAT the ENTIRE pie by MYSELF. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twinkies always bring back great childhood memories of my PaPa. He always had them for me. But I would never have thought to make them into a pie. That will definitley be a don't make too often type of dessert.

    ReplyDelete