Friday, April 25, 2014

Fried Chicken Tenders


My mom made fried chicken.  I can remember her breading the chicken and then watching it sizzle in the hot pan while she turned it and browned it.  The drumsticks were always my favorite.  Fast forward 25 years and I have NEVER made real fried chicken.  

One of the reasons I've never made real fried chicken is probably because my husband doesn't like bone in chicken. He prefers boneless.  So I don't often make bone in chicken.

I've made chicken tenders before, usually baked. And they've been very good. But it didn't resemble true fried chicken.  

I do try to stay away from oil as much as possible but these sounded wonderful. If you have the oil hot enough, not too much oil actually soaks into the chicken. 




I can't believe how perfect these came out.  They were really easy and the breading was perfect!  They were tasty and super crispy.  They weren't very oily and they tasted just like the fried chicken that mom used to make.  Only without the bones. 





Fried Chicken Tenders
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
1 1/2 - 2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. Lawrys Seasoning Salt or seasonings of your choice

Submerge the chicken strips in buttermilk for 15 - 20 minutes or longer. 

In another bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour and seasoning salt. Mix together.  Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup buttermilk to the flour mixture and stir lightly. You're just barely getting the flour wet. It's going to form little ball clusters that will stick to the chicken and make for a crunchy coating. 

Heat about 1 inch oil in a skillet on medium low to medium heat. Then remove a few of the buttermilk soaked strips from their bowl and place into the flour mixture. 

Turn them over in the flour mixture and thoroughly coat. Then place them on a plate.  Continue coating until chicken is all ready to cook. 

When the oil is heated, begin cooking the strips a few at at time.  Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes until the one side is crispy. Mine were big but if you have smaller ones, they will cook much faster. Turn over cook the other side.  Cover the pan and the insides of the chicken will cook a bit faster.  Cook until crispy and done in the middle.  I like to keep mine in the oven to keep them warm until ready to serve. 


1 comment:

  1. Yummy!!! I've got everything on hand to make these for my family. Added to my must make list. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete