Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

This has been a really cold winter. Not just here in Minnesota but all over from what I understand. Soup just seems to be the perfect remedy for a super cold day. One of my favorite places to go for soup is Panera.  All of my family agree that the best soup if the chicken wild rice soup. I hadn't made this in awhile so I was curious to see if I could come up with something similar.  

What I came up with is a hearty, rich soup that was so, so good.  I made two versions of this soup. One with half and half and more butter.  It was delicious and very rich.  My next soup I used less butter and regular milk.  It was still fantastic but just not as rich. Both are worthy of praise, it's up to you how much you would like to add. 

My wild rice blend had seasoning in it, others have a seasoning packet. Go ahead and use the seasoning packet in with the rice. This is seriously good stuff on these cold winter days!

Cream of Chicken  & Wild Rice Soup Recipe

6 cups chicken broth
1 lb. chicken breast, cooked, boneless and cubed
1 pkg. long grain & wild rice blend, I used Zatarans 7 oz. 
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup flour (I used gluten free)
1/2 cup butter (use 3/4 cup for a richer soup)
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup onion, diced
2 cups milk (use cream or half and half for a richer soup)

In a large pot, combine broth and cooked chicken cubes.  Bring to a boil, stir in rice.  Cover and remove from heat. 

In a medium pan, melt butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and saute for 8 - 10 minutes until veggies are softened. Add flour and pepper while constantly stirring to form a roux.  Saute roux for 3 - 4 minutes.  

Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated.  Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. 

Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook until heated through and rice is done, about 15 - 20 minutes.  

**If you don't have the quick cooking rice, just cook the rice more before while veggies are cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Chcken and wild rice makes for a really soulful and deliicous soup. This winter has been miserbale for a lot folks. Spring is in the air.