Monday, March 24, 2014

BBQ Bacon Stuffed Meatloaf

There is nothing pretty about meatloaf.  Especially when you stuff it with spinach.  Yep, not pretty at all.  But we're not going for pretty here.  We're going for an awesome, rockin', knock your socks off of meal.  This one totally rocked. My favorite meatloaf ever. 

As I was exploring Rhonda's blog The Kitchen Witch for The Secret Recipe Club, I found several recipes that I would love to make. I thought about making her Rice Pilaf with this meal but time just got away from me and it just didn't happen. Another day for sure. 

Meatloaf is one of our favorite and I knew that with the BBQ and Bacon that it would be awesome.  Stuffing it however, I wasn't sure about.  I'm not a big fan of stuffing things, but I was determined to give it a shot.  

I used a mixture of ground turkey and ground pork but you can certainly use ground beef or a combination. My son took the awesome picture of the meatloaf with spinach on it.  I had meatloaf hands. It's a little blurry but you can see everything that it is stuffed with.  Ya, this is what happens when an 11 year old photograph for me.  

Hubs isn't a fan of spinach.  He won't eat anything with spinach in it. Big baby. So I made two meatloafs. 

As long as I was going to make 2 meatloaves, I decided to stuff one of them as Rhonda did and the other I just mixed all up. Without the spinach of course.  

The rolling wasn't too bad.  However, just mixing it all up went well and was actually easier.  I'm all about easy.  

I pretty much stuck to Rhonda's recipe.  I did use gluten free bread crumbs instead of panko crumbs. Both will work the same.  Rhonda put BBQ sauce and sprinkled the leftover bacon on top of her meatloaf.  I am an onion fan.  So I cooked up some onion and mixed it with BBQ sauce and the leftover bacon and created a slightly different topping.  If you're not an onion fan, just stick with the BBQ sauce and bacon. It's all good.  But the onions really rocked this, I promise you. 

We at this with a Southwestern Salad and Pao de Queijo cheese bread. Nope, not pretty at all.  But seriously good eats. 

BBQ Bacon Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe
Adapted from The Kitchen Witch

1 lb. bacon, cooked and divided
1 lb. ground turkey (or ground beef)
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Couple of handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread or panko crumbs (I used gluten free)
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, divided
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 onion sliced in rings
about 1/2 cup bbq sauce (whatever is leftover from the 1/2 cups)
Leftover bacon 

Using your hands, mix the 2 lbs. of meat, eggs, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, onion and garlic, salt and pepper until well blended.  

Lay a piece of parchment paper and spread the meatloaf mixture evenly across the parchment paper.  Spread a thin layer of the BBQ sauce over the mixture. Cover with about 3/4 of the bacon strips. Chop up the remaining bacon and set aside. 

Sprinkle fresh spinach over the bacon. 

Carefully roll the meatloaf up and place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Seal the ends and shape into a nice little loaf. 

Bake for 40 minutes at 375.

Cook sliced onions in a skillet with a bit of water for about 15 minutes to soften and start to caramelize. Add BBQ sauce and the rest of the crumbled bacon and cook for about 5 minutes.  Set aside. 

Cover with barbecue onion mixture and return to the oven for about 10 - 20 minute or until meatloaf is done.

**Alternate method: When you mix the meatloaf ingredients, instead of rolling the spinach and bacon in it, you can just throw it in with the meat mixture and shape it into a loaf on a pan. It isn't quite as pretty but it still tastes and cooks the same. 


  1. You can't go wrong with bacon! This sounds delicious!

  2. Never thought of stuffed meatloaf before. It sounds great. I don't make meatloaf that often but next time I do, I think this might be the one I have to try.

  3. Meatloaf is pure comfort food and with a little bacon it is over the top. This recipe even managed to get a some veggie requirements too. very nice.


  4. We are big meatloaf fans as well. This one looks like it has a lot of flavor!

  5. You know I am looking away from the onions! And my husband would turn his nose up to the spinach too! :D

  6. Food doesn't have to be pretty to good! Next time I make this I am so putting onions on top of mine, wow!

  7. I think you left out the bacon from the ingredients list.