Monday, February 17, 2014

Sweet Potato, Kale, White Bean Soup



It's Secret Recipe Club time again. I'm so glad I was able to look through Denise's recipes on Eat Laugh Love this month. I fell in love with this soup as soon as I saw it.  

Dice up an onion. A medium onion should be fine but I happen to adore onions so mine was pretty big.  Saute the onion for about 5 minutes.  I choose to nix the oil.  Water sauteing works awesome.  If it gets dry, just add a bit more water.  Who needs the oil, right?

Throw in some garlic.  Mine is preminced out of a jar. I'm lazy, what can I say. 




Dice up a jalapeno.  I chose to toss the seeds. I like lots of flavor but so much a lot of spice. Plus, my jalapeno was pretty big.  Do be careful not to touch your nose or your eyes after cutting these babies up.  Oh, I can't tell you how many times I've made that mistake.  Ouch!


Cut up a couple of sweet potatoes.  I had one large one and one medium.  I love sweet potato and lots of chunks so the more the merrier.  

I do have an issue with sweet potato peelings.  I love regular potato peels but not on a sweet potato. I don't get it, I'm just a baby about it. I know they are edible and just fine but for some reason I always peel the sweet potatoes.   Leave them on and I'm sure they are much healthier. Maybe some day I'll grow up. 

Add some broth. If you're vegetarian, use veggie broth, otherwise chicken broth works too.  


Here's where things get fun.  Open up a can of white beans and drain and rinse them.  Then mash them all up. I debated leaving them in whole but I do like a thicker soup and I knew this would thicken it up. I mashed mine on a paper plate. I'm classy like that. 


Throw in your greens.  You can use kale, spinach, chard, whatever.  It's all good.  Wilt it down a bit and then throw in your beans.  Stir it around a bit until it gets nice and thick and you're good to go.  Salt and pepper along the way and you've got a delicious healthy soup. 

Denise, I loved your soup. I forgot to add the peanut butter.  I just spaced it out. I am curious what it brings to the soup so I'll for sure be making it again. It reheated beautifully for lunches the next day.  





Sweet Potato Kale White Bean Soup Recipe
Super Foods Soup = Eat Laugh Love
Adapted from Eat Laugh Love


1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt, divided
Pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tbsp. jarred
3 medium sweet potatoes, chopped (about a pound or so)
1 jalapeno, minced (I seeded mine)
4 cups vegetable broth or more as needed for desired consistency
A few handfuls kale, stem removed (you can use spinach or chard too)
1 can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
2 - 3 tbsp. chunky peanut butter (I forgot this)


Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté with water for about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, peppers, and garlic; sauté for a few minutes. Add potato, jalapeno, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes. Gradually add kale; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and mashed beans; cook about 5 minutes. Add peanut butter and stir until dissolved and soup is thoroughly heated.




9 comments:

  1. I feel silly that I've never water-sauteed. Interesting...and healthier. I'll give it a try. And this soup looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the soup, Debbi. PB and sweet potatoes are traditionally used together in African cooking and they just go together nicely. Add some next time you make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never water-sauteed, either! Thanks for this! Great pick for SRC to share. :)

    Chris (melecotte.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet potatoes & kale are such a magical (and healthy!) combination - love all the ingredients in this hearty soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at KALE! I adore kale and could eat it every day. Nice SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UUMMMM I feel warm just looking at that soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this soup! It has so many of my favorite ingredients in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup sounds good- great for these cold temps lately.

    ReplyDelete