Sunday, January 19, 2014

Apple Cornmeal Muffins



Sometimes the only difference between a cupcake and a muffin is the frosting.  When I make muffins for the kids in the morning, even though there isn't frosting, they totally feel like they are getting a treat. 


For The Secret Recipe Club this month I picked my recipe from Teaspoon of Spice. I had a blast looking through Deanna's recipes.  I actually made two recipes from her blog.  I first made her Corn Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette.  I LOVED it.  But I can't find the pictures.  Long story short, my camera is messed up and I have a new computer that isn't cooperating with pictures so the pictures are lost.  Truthfully, it wasn't the pretties of dishes. Oh but it was tasty.  I'm a sucker with anything with avocado though! I plan to make it again and post it soon! 

I bake muffins for the kids a lot.  I'm always looking for new muffin recipes. Deanna's Apple Cornmeal Muffins hit the spot one morning and all the kids at them up. Loads of chunky tasty apple, yum.  I have so many more recipes of hers I want to try.  I can't wait to try her Acorn Squash Farm Share Chili!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Apple Cornmeal Muffins
Recipe from Teaspoon of Spice

  • 1 1/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal (I used regular)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp.baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp.vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1 cup cored, chopped (unpeeled) apples
  • Raw or turbinado sugar (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 425. Spray muffin cups or place muffin/cupcake paper in 12 muffin cups.
  2. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
  3. Combine eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar in another.
  4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in wet ingredients; stir just until combined.
  5. Stir in apples just until mixed.
  6. Divide batter evenly in 12 muffin cups. Muffin cups will be full. It's okay. Sprinkle with a little turbinado sugar if desired, I just used regular sugar.
  7. Bake about 13-15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

I made this Corn Avocado Salad one night and ate it with a big green salad.  It was a fantastic vegetarian meal that I plan to make again!  I don't have a picture to go with this recipe but it was delicious. I did cut the oil a bit but that's the only change I made. Healthy and filling!  Thanks Deanna. 


Corn Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
    For the salad:
  • 4 ears of cooked corn on the cob, kernels removed
  • 1 avocado, pit removed and diced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • For the vinaigrette:
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro
  • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 2 tbsp. orange juice
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  1. In a big bowl, mix corn, avocado, red onion and cayenne. Set aside.
  2. With your food processor, mix cilantro, oil, lime juice, honey and orange juice until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Toss vinaigrette with corn salad and serve.












10 comments:

  1. So fun that we had each other for this month! You are reminding me how much I love that Corn Avocado salsa and these Apple Cornmeal Muffins. Thanks for all you do for SRC Group C!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the addition of cornmeal- sounds like it would be tasty with apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and delicious, adding cornmeal is new to me but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look absolutely wonderful what a great SRC pick! Karen visiting from Group C too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love apple muffins...and these look terrific! And the salad sounds excellent, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muffins are the best! And they can be healthy AND tasty!! Trying these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both the muffins and the salad sound fantastic. I'm a big fan of avocado too :)

    ReplyDelete