I love quinoa. Slowly I am getting the family on board with quinoa as well. When I saw this recipe I was intrigued. I wasn't sure it would actually get that nice crunchy topping.
Well, it did get nice and crunchy but soften up pretty quickly. This is a dessert best eaten soon out of the oven. Almonds and blueberries go so well together.
Blueberry Almond and Amaretto Quinoa Crisp Recipe
Adapted from Closet Cooking
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons amaretto
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the water, about 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered.
- Mix the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, amaretto, lemon juice and vanilla and place in an 8x8 inch baking dish (or a number of smaller dishes).
- Mix the quinoa, brown sugar, butter, flour and almond slices and crumble on top of the blueberries.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 30-45 minutes.
More fruit desserts!!
Peach Browned Butter Shortbread Bars
Fruit and Berry Crisp
Dutch Apple Cheesecake
Easy Fruit Dump Cake
Strawberry Lemonade Cake
Blueberry Lemon Upside Down Cake
Berry Trifle with Orange Liquer