Friday, April 12, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole

I've been a lazy cook recently.  I've been making more of the "throw a bunch of stuff in a pan and call it dinner" kind of mood.  I haven't really been in mood to create new recipe and have been sticking with some old stand by recipes.  This is a great recipe that comes together quickly and is quite versatile. I've made it several times and it's never really the same every time.
I love putting a zucchini in this but found that my last zucchini was not good.  Very disappointing.  So I threw a red pepper in there instead. I liked it and will probably use both next time I make it.
You can get creative with the cheeses as well. Cheddar and Parmesan combo is probably my favorite but I always have Colby jack in the fridge so that gets used often too.

This is an especially easy meal if you have leftover rice in the refrigerator.  When I make rice, I always make a big batch and somehow it always seems to get used.  This time I only had about 2 cups of cooked rice rather than 3 cups. I thought about making more but you know, that lazy thing kicked in and I decided that 2 cups would do. 
What are some of your favorite lazy meals to make?

Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole

2 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour (I used gluten free)
2 cups milk
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (or whatever kind you have)
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked rice, I used brown
3 cups cooked broccoli florets
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, cut in rounds and halved

Spray a 9 x 13 in. casserole pan.    In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, add onion and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for about a minute.  Whisk in flour and cook 3 - 4 minutes, whisking constantly.  Slowly stir in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add most of the cheddar cheese (saving about 1/3 cup for the top), add Parmesan cheese.  Stir until mostly melted, remove from heat. 

Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into casserole pan, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup cheese over top.  Bake 20 - 30 minutes at 400 until bubbly and lightly golden on top. 


  1. Anything that cheesy just has to be be good.

  2. It looks like cheezy goodness to me Debbi! (of course, without the onions!) :D