Monday, February 18, 2013

Popovers





I have a memory of popovers from when I was really young. They obviously didn't make a regular appearance at meals because I remember them being special. Like for company or something. 

I hadn't had a popover since.  Until now.

I've seen recipes now and then around the internet and always think, 'I need to make those!"  But never do.

Until now.

For The Secret Recipe Club this month, I was assigned NY City Eats. Lacy has a whole bunch of awesome recipes.  I seriously spent about 2 hours debating what to make. I have many printed that will get made soon for sure!

I had to choose the popover recipe when I saw it though.  They looked so easy.  I'm not much of a baker so I had my doubts.  I thought for sure they wouldn't resemble the popovers that I remembered at all. Boy was I wrong!  These came out perfect!  Crunchy on the outside and soft and hollow on the inside.  I so should have gotten a picture of them from the inside. I was so proud of them!

We all loved the popovers but I specifically had my son Jacob in mind when I made them. He's all about bread. It seems like all he eats is bread.  As expected, he loved them and at most of them.  I've actually made this recipe twice.  I meant to try to make a gluten free version but didn't get a chance. I have no idea if it would even work but I want to give it a shot. I'll let you know if it works. :-)





Popovers
Recipe from NYCity Eats

1 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten


Preheat the oven to 450.
Have all ingredients at room temp. Butter deep muffin tin or popover pan and set aside.
Beat milk, butter, flour & salt just until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time without over beating. Pour batter in pan filling cups only 3/4 full, and place in oven immediately.
Bake at 450 for 15-17 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 without opening door. Bake about 20 minutes longer or until popovers are golden brown & you can remove them from the pan without the outside walls collapsing.









21 comments:

  1. Hmmm...love popovers. Not just for special occasions anymore! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had popovers before, but I'd love to try them. It would be a nice change of pace from the regular rolls and biscuits I make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, they turned out great! I made them once a very long time ago before I was really much of a cook and was surprised they turned out for me too. I love easy recipes! I really want to open one of your sup and fill it with chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! One of my favorite popover recipes. Yours look so good I might have to make them again right now! Yum!
    -Lacy @ NYCityEats

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great and I can see why Jacob likes them so much. I haven't made them in years and will have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I don't believe I've ever had a popover before, but I imagine they're quite tasty. This recipe looks simple enough for a weeknight dinner too--a bonus in my book. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so delicious (and ambitious). Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew you could make popovers in a regular muffin tin - love it! Definitely going to make these Debbi - my husband loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made popovers in home ec in Junior high and really like them. I live in NYC and there's a great popover restaurant just a few blocks away. The popovers there are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great for a take a long meal
    come see what I shared http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I'm the popover lover in my house...and now I'm craving some :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look pretty good, the last popovers I tried kinda flopped, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am obsessed with popovers. there used to be a popover cafe in my old neighborhood and they were the fluffiest, most delicious things ever. these look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sounds like a great idea for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love popovers, yours look like they turned out great! There is something so wonderful about the light puffy bread.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh I love popovers! Yours are perfect! So glad you can use a muffin tin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine how many years, it has been, since I had popovers but I have good memories. I should follow you and make these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow - I haven't made popovers in years - love them with jam and good to know that you don't need a special pan for to bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious! Great SRC choice! Love a great popover - have a hard time just eating one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ZOMG! I love these so much! I always have one or two on my cheat days. No one can eat healthy organic meals all the time :) They taste best with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Super delicious!

    ReplyDelete