Thursday, December 27, 2012

Asparaus Quiche with a Sweet Potato Crust



 
 I'm not a big asparagus fan.  Saute it in butter and serve it the right way and it's okay but I rarely, if ever, buy it. It's just not my vegetable of choice. So why did I jump when I saw this recipe? 
 
Well, the sweet potato crust sounded amazing.  The herbs go so well with the sweet potatoes and it really was a perfect quiche crust. 
 
 Quiche. Now there's a word. I've always thought that sounds really fancy. Something that rich, hoity toity people make or you would only get in a fancy hotel for room service breakfast. Seriously, that is what I've always thought of the word quiche.  Never did I think that I would be making quiche.
 
 
 Anyways, back to the asparagus. It's not really asparagus season so I bought frozen. (actually, I have no idea when it's in season, I just couldn't find any fresh at the store.)  I thought about subbing green beans or broccoli but I thought that I could be a big girl and try the asparagus. 
 
Well, it was delicious.  I loved it. Quiche. Asparagus Quiche. Me?  Can you believe it?
 
 
 

Asparagus Quiche with a Savory Sweet Potato Crust
Adapted from Life As a Plate

For the crust:
1 lb. cooked sweet potatoes
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded

For the filling:
1 small onion, chopped
1 9oz. pkg frozen asparagus
1 1/2 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
10 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk

For the crust, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and then press into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 in. pan.  Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes until the center is firm. 

For the filling, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions, asparagus and garlic.  Cook for 5 - 10 minutes until onions are slightly transparent.  Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes while crust finishes cooking.

Beat eggs and milk until fluffy in a large bow.  Add in the asparagus mixture to the eggs, stir and then pour into pan on top of sweet potato crust.  Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes until cooked through.  Center will be firm and the edges slightly brown.  It might take a bit longer to cook so keep an eye on it.


This is linked with:
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory




Tweet

3 comments:

  1. Just looking at the title I knew you would love it because of the sweet potato crust!! I know how much you love them!

    Happy Friday Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look delicious. I really like asparagus. It's in season in the spring time, although these days they ship it from Mexico so you can find fresh most of the time year round. The fresh stuff you get in the spring is the best if you go fresh, otherwise frozen is a perfect substitute.

    ReplyDelete