Monday, September 17, 2012

Stuffed Devilled Eggs - Eggs Jeanette




This month I was thrilled to be assigned the blog Rhubarb & Honey for The Secret Recipe Club. I don't seem to have as much time to peruse blogs these days so I love to have the opportunity to scroll through Kimberly's awesome recipes.  I found out that she participated in Foodie Penpals as well.  I just started this month and got my first package!  Much fun.  



I found a wonderful recipe for devilled eggs.  Check out her blog for the cool story about these and the story behind the name, Eggs Jeanette.
 
While I love eating devilled eggs, I don't particularly like making them.  I don't like making and peeling hard boiled eggs.  I've used many different methods and just haven't found one that consistently works.  I think it's just me.  Well, I was pleased as punch to find these ready-made hard boiled eggs at the store.  I'd heard that they existed, I just never knew where they were. 



These made this recipe so fast.  This is a fantastic way to whip up an unbelievable appetizer in a very short time.


You know what is different about these eggs?  They are cooked.  Pan fried. A bit anyways.  I've never done that with devilled eggs before and I thought it intriguing. 

 
They just needed to be in the pan for a minute or two. They turned out beautifully.  Golden brown and super tasty!  I was skeptical about the dressing but ended up absolutely loving it and everyone else did too!  This for sure is a keeper!
 
 
 
 

Eggs Jeanette Recipe
Adapted from Rhubarb & Honey

Eggs:
  • 6 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon finely minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons leftover egg stuffing (from above)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard (I would add a bit less)
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
  • Salt and black pepper
Directions:
Gently cut each hard boiled egg in half, then carefully remove yolks, placing yolks in a bowl and setting the whites aside.

To the yolks, add the garlic, onion, parsley, milk, salt, and pepper. Mash with a fork to combine. Carefully spoon the yolk mixture back into the hollows of the egg whites, reserving 2 tablespoons of the filling to use in the dressing.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the eggs, stuffing side down, in the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the eggs are browned on the stuffed side. Remove from skillet and place on a platter, stuffed side up.

In a small bowl, combine reserved egg stuffing, mustard, and sour cream. Whisk to combine, adding milk as necessary to get a smooth, creamy consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon the dressing over the warm eggs and serve.











12 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe, I have never seen anyone fry the eggs like that before! Really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting twist on deviled eggs! Great SRC pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Debbie!

    So glad you enjoyed my Eggs Jeanette! Aren't they so fun and delicious?

    Looking forward to checking out more great recipes from SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. Deviled eggs are my fav! I love them. I've never heard of pan frying them. Totally clever. I'm going to have to try that! Thanks!

    I juts signed up to be a Foodie Penpal too! I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hubby would go nuts for these! I never thought of frying them first...but they look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique way to finish off devilled eggs! I bet they were so good, and you can't beat skipping the boiling and ipeeling part. Thanks for being a fabulous host!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of that pan fry method with deviled eggs, but it looks amazing! I used to never make good hard boiled eggs, until this recipe - let me know if it works for you!

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2011/02/26/the-perfect-hard-boiled-egg/

    I was super busy last week - just catching up on my blog reading! Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting deviled egg recipe. And I'm with you, I'm not a fan of peeling eggs. They always come out with quite a few scars. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a unique recipe! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I've never seen deviled eggs done this way before! Looks fantastic! Love the pre-peeled eggs as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting choice!! Something totally different and refreshing. I bet they were great!

    ReplyDelete