Monday, June 4, 2012

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers



Sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, oh how I love sweet potatoes.  I buy them at Costco in a 10 lb. box.  I can't possibly think of a meal that I wouldn't want to eat a sweet potato. I don't eat them with every meal but I do a lot. 

I was impressed with these burgers as they pressed together nicely and were incredibly delicious.  I admit, I ate more than my share and was quite full.  They are packed with protein and very healthy and filling.  There is only a small amount of quinoa in these but I suggest making a larger batch as it stays in the refrigerator quite well.

I kept mine gluten free and didn't use a bun but the family ate theirs as burgers and loved them.  



Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers Recipe
Adapted from Once a Month Mom

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cups sweet potato, cooked and mashed (I used a bit more)
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
3 tbsp. oats, partially ground
1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
1 tbsp. taco seasoning (I used a combination of chili powder, cumin and coriander)

Mash half the beans in a bowl until paste like.  Add in the rest of the beans and give it a light mash but keep them a bit chunky.  Add the mashed sweet potato and taco seasoning.  Mix in the onion, garlic, corn, black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds and ground oats until just combined. Form into balls, between your hands and flatten into a patty.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes, flipping once half way through.  Serve with guacamole.

Guacamole

2 avocados, fairly soft, peeled and pit removed
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 serrano pepper, minced
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 roma tomato diced

Pour lime juice and vinegar in a medium bowl.  Mash avocados roughly into the vinegar and juice.  Stir in spices.  Mix in red onion, serrano pepper, cilantro and tomato. 

One Year Ago...

Mexican Meatloaf




15 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic, I am also a huge sweet potato fan. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes too. I'll have to try these, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sweet potatoes too, but truth be told, I didn't try them until a few years ago! My mom likes hers baked with butter and maple syrup. :D

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is packed with protein! I can totally see it working though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum that looks so good! i love sweet potatoes! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi - I saw this recipe for bacon wrapped sweet potato fries and totally thought of you!!

    http://www.cupofsugarpinchofsalt.com/2012/05/31/bacon-wrapped-sweet-potato-fries/

    ReplyDelete
  7. love recipes like this that are good for my family and so tastefully delicious that it pleases them as well come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/06/family-picnic-and-recipe-for-picnic.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. The burgers sound delicious! I am a big fan of black beans especially in my burgers. I love the combo with sweet potatoes.

    In response to your question about the corn tortillas - if I have ones that are breaking on me I heat a skillet over medium heat and spray it with baking spray - briefly warm the tortillas and roll while still warm. Spray again for every tortilla. Or you can use a light coating of oil - spraying is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go figure...I thought I was following you but apparently not LOL. Anyhow, the burgers look scrumptious! What a great alternative to basic meat burgers. Giving this one a try! Thanks for sharing in our recipe hop this week ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love sweet potatoes too! I like the combination of black beans and sweet potatoes you have used to make burgers -- thanks for sharing it on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking these up. We have the same taste in food. Don't I keep saying this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sweet potatoes too, and they are a wonderful ingredient in your delicious burger recipe. I love the spices you have used; these burgers sound like they have tons of flavour! And your guacamole sounds fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look terrific- I want to try them, but slightly adapted. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so yummy. I love black beans and sweet potatoes. Great combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbi, how many burgers does this make - portion control?

    Thanks,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete