Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sausage, Butternut Squash and Veggie Cassoulet

I'm always impressed by a dish that has a ton of veggie and tastes so good.  Joanne put vegetarian sausage in her cassoulet and I wasn't even sure that I wanted any sausage. I was thinking about just putting some large butter beans and keeping it meatless.  Chickpeas would have been good too.  In the end, I did happen to have some sausage in the refrigerator that I threw in.  It's really up to you, vegetarian or not. You really can't go wrong here.

Sausage & Veggie Cassoulet
Adapted from Eats Well with Others

1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
12 oz. sausage links, cut into coins (feel free to use vegetarian if you'd like)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 zucchini, cut into coins or moons
Salt and pepper
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. oregano
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
Pinch of cayenne

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Spread butternut squash on baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 - 40 minutes or until fork tender.

In the meantime, heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the sausage coins, turning as needed until the pieces are deeply browned on all sides about 5 - 10 minutes.  Remove from pan.

Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, onions, carrots and zucchini.  Sprinkle wit salt and pepper.  Cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the canned tomatoes and the liquid along with the sausage and herbs.  Bring to a boil.  Add the beans and bring to a boil again.  Reduce the heat so that the mixture bubbles gently but continuously.  Cook for about 20 minutes.

Add the butternut squash into the mix.  Simmer for a couple of minutes and taste and adjust seasoning.


  1. This sounds just like my sort of dish, yum yum Diane

  2. You cook what we love to eat. Would you link this to the Recipe Box?

  3. This is such a great blog post! Very good information! Appreciating the hard work you put into your site and detailed information you present. It’s awesome blog.

  4. oh i love butternut squash! sounds delicious!

  5. My butternut squash is just beginning to grow so I am bookmarking this ☺ Also, wanted to let you know that you have been passed on an Award! You can pick it up @ http://allergiesandceliac.blogspot.com/2012/06/passing-on-sunshine-award-to.html#more

  6. I am glad you left the sausage in! And Debbi - you will be proud of me. I am making a Mexican fiesta for my office lunch tomorrow, and I am . . . grilling onions for them!