Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken


Orange chicken is probably my favorite food.  When we go out, if it's on the menu, I order it.   I can't resist.  I've made it a few times and while I have never acheived restaurant quality, this is pretty darn good. 

It wasn't until after I'd made it that I realized that I've already made this.  Or at least something super similar.  I love anything in the crock pot and was excited to find this.  Again.  I actually made a double batch and shredded the leftover chicken to use for salads for the week. 




Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Adapted from Mom's Crazy Cooking

2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup brown sugar

In a bowl, mix the OJ, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and ketchup.  Dump the chicken in the crockpot and add the sauce. Cook for 4 - 6 hours on low until done. 

**Alternate method:  Bread chicken chunks in flour and brown in a skillet before dumping them in the crockpot.  I skipped this part because I'm lazy!

9 comments:

  1. That really looks good, Debbi. I like the combo of that touch of balsamic vinegar with the OJ. Perfect with brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love sweet and sour chicken, any kind! Ok, sweet and sour anything for that matter! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Yum! Yum! This looks soo tasty - love that it's simple to make too. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good!

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I figure out how to make something I enjoy in restaurants at home--sounds like you've done just that! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, too funny you forgot you made it before! I actually made it from the last recipe you posted but didn't really like it. I can't remember how close this one is but it sounds better. I remember there seemed to be a lot of ketchup in the other and the flavor was not very orangey to me. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos, BTW-love your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of making this classic dish in the slow cooker! Orange chicken is one of my favourites as well. The balsamic vinegar is a great addition - it will really deepen all the lovely flavours you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie. This dish looks amazing. If it is half as good as the picture looks, I must try this. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete