Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rice Casserole with Bacon and Spinach


My family doesn't eat spinach. More specifically; my husband doesn't eat spinach.  I haven't made many meals that include spinach. At least not when hubs is home.

Funny thing, I actually scheduled to make this on a night that he worked.  He's also not too keen on eggs for dinner.  I know, I know, you're asking yourself what I ever even saw in this guy! 

Well, the schedule changed and he was indeed, home for dinner. 


He loved it!  He ate plenty and didn't complain once.  See, he is a good guy.  I did make him some fried ham to go along with it.  That helped. :-)

I thought it was fantastic. I actually wish he hadn't been home as I would have had leftovers for breakfast!  Is that wrong of me? 


Rice Casserole with Bacon and Spinach Recipe
Adapted from Gluten Free Homemaker

3 cups cooked brown rice
12 oz. cooked bacon, crumbed or in chunks
6 oz. fresh spinach
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. bacon grease
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. dried ground thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup milk
2 large eggs

Saute onion in the bacon grease for about 4 - 5 minutes until tender.  Add garlic and stir in for about a minute. Add the spinach to the onion and garlic.  Saute until just wilted. 

Combine the rice, bacon, onion mixture, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. 

In a small bowl, combine the milk and eggs, beating the eggs with a fork until they are combined with milk.  Add the milk mixture to the rice mixture.  Stir well.

Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 in. baking dish and spread evenly.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

One Year Ago...









Banana Foster Amish Friendship Cake


This is linked with:
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at 21st Century Housewife
Slightly Indulgent at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Foodie Friday at Simple Living
Spinach Roundup at Gnowfglins

13 comments:

  1. Seems like you're rubbing off on him, little by little! This sounds really delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband refuses to eat spinach, so irritating. I'd eat this in a second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! We love the bacon, spinach and eggs combo! I'll have to try it with the rice...we love rice, too, so that shouldn't be an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really tasty! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything in this dish, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious rice casserole, even though I am rice eater, I didn't done any casserole dish with rice. sure try this one. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for dinner tonight, substituting low-fat buttermilk for the regular milk. It was so good! I will definitely be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this. Great flavors to pair up! The same thing happens with my Dad all the time and he ends up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my husband would react the same way when I "accidentally" cook shrimp for dinner. I love it so much but he can't stand it so I practically never eat it. Sooo sad. Anyway, glad your hubby liked it but sorry you didn't get your leftovers. Time to make a second one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always make brown rice and my son is being a real pain about veggies lately... but he will eat anything with bacon in it. Please share this on my foodie friday party today and I will pin it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like all the healthy ingredients in this very tasty recipe! I'm always trying to find delicious ways to 'sneak' spinach into our diet and this recipe is perfect. My husband actually loves spinach, but our son is not so keen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, a recipe that makes a spinach hater love spinach--that's a real winner!

    Debbi, have you considered sharing this on the Spinach Recipe Round Up at Gnowfglins? It's for spinach recipes using whole (not processed) foods, and I think this recipe would make a great addition!

    Here's the link, in case you want to check it out: gnowfglins.com/2012/05/11/spinach-seasonal-recipe-round-up/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I found your recipe and made a few changes due to the ingredients I had and it turned out awesome! Hope you don't mind that I tweaked it but you were the inspiration. :)
    I used 4 slices of turkey bacon (1 cooked with the onions, garlic and spinach and the other 3 microwaved crispy). I only had two cups of cooked brown rice so I just used that instead of cooking up an extra cup. I used 4 liquid egg whites instead of eggs and italian seasoning instead of parsley. Also, used 2/3 cup of almond milk instead of milk and then I added half a cup of parm/ramano kraft cheese. After I took it out of the oven and let it cool, I crumbled the three bacon slices and sprinkled it over the top. This made 4 servings for me and I counted out the calories to be about 300 a serving!

    ReplyDelete