Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hot Dog, Ham and Cheese Grilled Cheese


Remember the Food Network Cookbook that I reviewed awhile back? Well, my daughter was paging through the awesome recipes and she spotted this sandwich and fell in love.  I admit, I was at first a little grossed out by making a hot dog grilled cheese sandwich like this.  I'm also not a huge hot dog fan. 

I let her run with it and it turned out really well.  All three of my kids loved it.  The boys ate theirs without mustard though. It sorta reminded me of a Cuban. Only with hotdog.  If you're looking for a way to jazz up your hot dogs this summer, this might be a fun way to do it!! 




Hot Dog, Ham & Cheese Grilled Cheese Recipe
Adapted from Food Network Magazine, 1000 Easy Recipes

1 hot dog
2 slices thinly slices ham
pickles
mustard
cheese (I used colby jack)
bread or roll (I used a Arnold Select sandwich thin)
butter

Split cooked hot dog in half and then in half again.  Spread one side of bread with butter.  Spread the other side with a thin layer of mustard.  Place both sides of the bread on a hot pan, butter side down.  Quickly layer with cheese, pickles, hot dog, ham and then more cheese.  Cook for a couple of minutes until both sides of the bread are toasted.  Flip the other side of the bread on top of the sandwich and remove.  Enjoy.

**You can also use a panini press for this, I would have but I don't have one.




7 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think it's one for the kids too :) It's fun and summery though and if all your kids enjoyed it that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail to see where this recipe is "Healthy and Low Calorie".
    Sure, it would be a hit with the kids though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You are so right! That's why I added after my blog title, "...and a few not so healthy things added too!". I figure with summer approaching, some of my readers may like the idea of trying something new for the kids. Plus, my daughter was pleased that she found the recipe, made it and photographed it herself. I just couldn't help but put it on the blog! :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow...what a cool combination. I would never have thought to put ham and hot dog together. Great post...

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Debbie. Your daughter has a good eye! I'll save it for hen my grand kids come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes. Looks like a delicious sandwich - your daughter has good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! Kind of like a kid-version of a cubano sandwich... can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete