Monday, May 28, 2012

Cheesy Egg Salad



I adore devilled eggs.  What I don't like about them though is the peeling of the eggs.  100 people have told me 100 different ways to boil and peel the perfect egg but rarely does it work well for me. However, it might be my lack of patience. 

The beauty of egg salad is there is no need for perfectly peeled eggs.  What I have here is all the flavor in an deviled egg but in the form of a salad.  Not so neat perhaps but delicious.  I think I enjoyed this more as I was able to use it as a dip with gluten free crackers. 

So how do you boil and peel the perfect egg?


Cheesy Egg Salad
Adapted from Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters

6 hard boiled eggs
1/3 cup onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chipped
3 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp. relish
2 tbsp. mustard
1/3 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cheese shredded

Put the onions, celery, cream cheese, relish, mustard and seasonings in a bowl.  Chop the boiled eggs and stir them into the mixture.  Stir in the shredded cheese.  Serve in a sandwich or with crackers.

One Year Ago...










Bean & Pineapple Soft Tacos

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Made from Scratch at Living with Food Allergies and Celiac
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?
Made for you Monday at Skip to My Lou
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul Hop at 21st Century Housewife
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tater Tots and Jello


13 comments:

  1. I don't mind deviled eggs but after my mom got a shell in egg salad way back when I was a teen I could never eat it again. lol. I always use the method where you put your eggs in cold water and just bring them to a boil. I turn the heat off and let them set in the hot water for 15 minutes then I shock them by covering them in ice water to cool. I don't always have a perfectly peeled egg either - I've been told the fresher the egg, the harder they peel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love devilled eggs but I also hate peeling them. Sometime they work perfectly, others (doing them the exact same way) are a disaster! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never put cheese in my egg salad before but you've made it sound so delicious that I NEED to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I usually just go for a VERY simple egg salad (literally just eggs, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper) but I have put shredded cheese in mine before. (South Beach Diet experiment. tee hee) SO good, right? I also like to put some sunflower seeds in (when I have them) to give it a nice crunch and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome - printed out the recipe and am going to do this!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your egg salad looks so tasty. I put cream cheese in mine too and can't stay out of it! Here's a link I share at my blog along with my special egg salad recipe...this gives you all the info you need to cook perfect eggs. Go ahead and check it out and see if it's all it's cracked up to be - lol http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/BoiledEggs.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the addition of the cheese...yum! No tips on the egg peeling though, it's never the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything that is dippable with crackers or chips is better!! :) There is a great method I learned for perfect eggs (peels great, no green ring) but I'm usually too lazy for it. If you want to try, here it is in video form http://greenlitebites.com/2009/03/31/makin-hard-boiled-eggs/ , and in written form http://greenlitebites.com/2012/03/05/perfect-hard-boiled-egg/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the addition of shredded cheese in your recipe. That is a wonderful twist to traditional egg salad. We don't get to enjoy this recipe much anymore due to Michaela's egg allergies, but I still enjoy the memory ☺ Making deviled eggs doesn't seem to give me much trouble. I usually cook the recommended time and then put in ice water until cool. Crack, and the peel comes right off. The only time I run into trouble is if the eggs are older, then they are harder to peel. Hope that helps some. Thanks for joining our recipe carnival this week! I appreciate your support ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious twist on egg salad! The Egg Salad really looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the addition of the cream cheese and the shredded cheese to your egg salad. It sounds absolutely delicious. I've never been terribly good at peeling eggs - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I've tried all the tips I can and it really does seem to be the luck of the draw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete