Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sausage & Broccoli Risotto


This recipe exceeded my expectations. With wonderful ingredients like sausage, fresh vegetables and a delicious tomato wine sauce; it was a complete hit.

It's pretty too, isn't it!  I loved all the gorgeous colors.  Like a sunny day; eating pretty food just makes it better. 

Sausage & Broccoli Risotto
Adapted from Will Cook for Smiles

12 oz. ground Italian sausage
1 small bunch of broccoli, chopped fairly small
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 cup arborio rice
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 cup white wine
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper

Cook sausage in nonstick pan and saute until almost done.  Add onion and carrot and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and rice and saute for about a minute. 

Add 1/2 cup white wine.  Stir evenly and cook until the wine is absorbed.  Add 1/2 of the broth, stir well and cook until absorbed.  Add the other 1/2 cup wine, stir well and cook until liquid is absorbed.  Add chicken broth slowly until rice is done and it is at desired consistency.  Add broccoli for the last 3 - 5 minutes or so of cooking to lightly steam. Don't overcook the broccoli!

One Year Ago...








Banana Amaretto Cake





9 comments:

  1. This looks like an easy weeknight dinner. Love the colors too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blue bowl with a square opening is too cool! I think I need to start shopping at Goodwill again. :) This sounds really yummy and you're right, pretty food does make the day better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks intensely good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yummy, I love the bright colors and all the flavors I know my family would gobble this up. Thanks for sharing with Newlyweds Recipe linky.

    I pinned this recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! Why have I never thought to add meat to risotto? Definitely putting this on my list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative risotto! The sauce does sound incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A healthy sausage dish... awesome. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete