Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Honey Sesame Chicken in the Slow Cooker



I love nothing more than chucking meat in the slow cooker, dump in some sauce and come home to an awesome meal. 

Here's the problem.

I. Can't. Make. Rice.

I follow the directions but it just never turns out. It's either mushy, undercooked or completely dry and stuck to the pan.  This time it was undercooked AND mushy.  I'm talented, aren't I. 

So - Hubs stopped at the nearest chinese place and picked up some fried rice.  It added to the calories quite a bit but was really good.  Some day I'll quit being cheap and actually buy a rice cooker. 



Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
Adapted from Very Culinary

1 1/2 - 2 lbs. chicken
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup ketchup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Sesame seeds and scallions for garnish

Lightly season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper; put into crockpot. 

In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, garlic and pepper flakes.  Pour over chicken.  Cook for low for 5 - 7 hours.

Remove chicken from the crockpot, leave sauce.  Dissolve the cornstarch in water and pour into crock pot.  Stir to combine with sauce. Shred chicken and add to sauce.  OR you can just shred to chicken and serve with sauce drizzled over it.  I loved the sauce so I mixed it all together. 

One Year Ago...










Spicy Goulash

This is linked with:
Works for Me Wednesday at We Are That Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Food Wednesday at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
Recipe Linky at Newlyweds
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage

15 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I love the honey chicken at P F Changs...but I'm sure this is much healthier!

    Have you tried the birdeye steamfresh rice? In a pinch, it's great...all you do is heat it in the mircowave. Easy peasy no room for error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't cook rice either. It never comes out right. I buy the pouches that you just heat in the microwave for 90 seconds. Work perfectly every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds super easy and I can't wait to try it. The easiest way to make rice that is virtually fool-proof is a rice cooker. You should definitely invest in one to make rice cooker WAY easier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! We ate a cashew chicken recipe I found on pinterest a few weeks ago. I still think about that! It was so good. Rice is easy once you know the trick. We make enough for dinner and leftovers. Bring 3 cups water to boil, add 1-1/2 cup rice (add salt if you want it flavored at all). Stir it, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 18 minutes. Do not open the lid at all during this time. Turn off the stove, but leave it sitting on the eye with the lid on for 5 minutes more. Then you can remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Perfect every time. Jasmine rice smells the best when cooking. If you cook brown rice it's same process only it takes 45 minutes to cook. Okay, I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my crock pot for the same reasons you do. So nice to come home to a meal already done and waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made this dinner last night and really enjoyed it! Although, I got the recipe from another blog and the slurry at the end was 4t cornstarch:6T water and it wasn't enough to thicken the sauce :( Or at least not enough in my experience. I'll have to try the 1 1/2T:1/4c that you suggest next time!

    Also, rice... UGH! That's my nemesis as well. I've always struggled with it. Even when I follow the package directions precisely. I recently found this: http://pinchmysalt.com/how-to-cook-perfect-brown-rice/ via google search and it works beautifully! Seriously, the first time I used this method I was GIDDY over the results. My husband just didn't understand! I've used the method a handful of times since then and it yields beautiful rice every time! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize I was incapable of cooking rice without a rice cooker until one of my roommates moved out and took ours with her. Ugh. Such a pain. On the bright side, I love the idea of honey and sesame together! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried baking your rice? That yields the best results for me, but for some reason I always forget to do it that way. Try this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html

    Also, this sounds so good! Gotta love the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You spoke of rice in the Crock-Pot...Well I've been wondering if you could put the rice and whatever else your mixing with the rice and water in a quart ball canning jar or a foil bag or a roasting bag in the crock-Pot along with whatever else your cooking. The thing is it would keep all of the extra moisture away from the rice and it would cook separately. I think...maybe...hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds yummy!

    I tried to find a link for you for a blog that posted about using your crockpot as a rice cooker, but I had no luck. I'm sure if you google it, you'll find it.

    I was the same way with rice for a long time, but now, I have NO problems. Don't laugh now - we have an exchange student staying with us this year from China, so I make a LOT of rice. My basic "recipe" is: 3 cups rice and 6 cups of water (plus I always throw in an extra "splash" for the pot, maybe an ounce?) in my stockpot, with a good dash of salt (maybe a tablespoon?) and either a tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Give it a good stir, then bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn it down to a low simmer, cover it, set your timer for 20 minutes, and LEAVE IT ALONE. Do NOT lift the lid, do not stir, DO NOTHING. When the timer goes off, all the liquid should be absorbed. (It's really helpful to have a pot with a glass lid, just to be sure you don't let it burn.) Fluff it with a fork and enjoy!

    We eat a LOT of rice, which is why I make so much at once, but the "recipe" works as long as you keep the ratio the same (1 rice to 2 water). I hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't feel bad, Debbi; my SIL can't make jello. I make my rice in an electric rice cooker and it turns out perfect most times. Maybe that would work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you tried the oven brown rice recipe from Alton Brown? Works perfect every time and is very forgiving. My rice cooker went kaput and I didn't get a new one, that's how easy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debbi,
    Your Honey Sesame Chicken looks delicious and your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. You need to ask Santa for a rice cooker!

    ReplyDelete