Monday, April 16, 2012

Honey Pecan Chicken Salad


What I've loved about The Secret Recipe Club is that I have met so many new bloggers.  Every blogger I've been assigned to has been a new one. This month I was excited have the privilege of visiting a blogger that I know and love!  Robin from Penny Pinching Provisions has wonderful recipes and I've made several already!




This month I chose her Honey Pecan Chicken Salad.  I've actually made it twice since finding it.  I love, love, love chicken salad.  I know I've said that before but so true it is!

What drew me to the chicken salad was the relish. I had never put sweet relish in chicken salad. I timidly kept adding it slowly to see if I would like it and found I put it all in and LOVED it.  Very subtle but delicious. The beauty of chicken salad is that it is so versatile. Both times I made it I made it different, just a bit, no drastic changes but just what I had around. I did sub some yogurt for the mayo, subbed part of the celery for cucumber and added some craisins. 



Honey Pecan Chicken Salad
Adapted from Penny Pinching Provisions

1 - 6 cup of greek yogurt (I used Honey Flavored Yoplait)
1/4 cup mayo
3 tbsp. minced onion
1/2 cup sweet relish
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken, chopped
3/4 cup craisins

Combine yogurt, mayo, relish, onion, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl.

Stir in celery, cucumber and pecans.  Fold in chicken and craisins.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

 

22 comments:

  1. Yum! I enjoy chicken salads filled with goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Love these healthy and filling salad wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! I sub yogurt for mayo sometimes too. I love the idea of adding craisins. This is the only chicken salad I make with no fruit in it. Nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use real mayo or miracle whip?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used real mayo for this, I only have certain things that I use miracle whip for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken salads have been hit-and-miss for me, however yogurt, pecans and dried fruit take this to another level (clearly: hit).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chicken salad, too. This sounds super good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the additions, especially yogurt. Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbi,
    I just love this Chicken Salad recipe and it is a great idea to serve it in the tortilla's. That is a great presentation. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow does this look like the perfect spring lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm, This looks like a new and interesting take on chicken salad. I love at different textures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love adding relish to pasta salads and potato salads. Never would have thought to use it on chicken salad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds scrumptious! I will try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pics have sold me on this! Plus, I love being able to just throw in whatever you have laying around. I'm stopping by from SRC but be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month. We have peas AND rhubarb link parties open! We'd love if you'd share any recipes you may have http://bit.ly/H9XJGB

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a big chicken salad fan, but this is looking wonderful! Looks like lots of taste and texture makes it go from drab to fab!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooooh! i've just started watching what i eat - thank you very much, long term relationship. my ass has grown exponentially in the past 4 years - so this will come in handy!

    Happy SRC reveal from a group D Member!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chicken salad and this is a great recipe. Love it on the tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how this combination sounds, all the ingredients really seem to work

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found you oh the Secret Recipe Club and I wanted to tell you, I love your blog!!! You have such wonderful recipes!!

    ReplyDelete