Monday, April 30, 2012

Green Veggie Smoothie


Isn't that gorgeous?  I finally got my green, green smoothie.  I used my blender rather than my food processor and it blended better and I didn't have spinach chunks. 

The kids were a little grossed out by this. I admit, it was odd for me too at first as we have always made fruit smoothies with maybe a tiny bit of veggies.  It tasted just like celery and cucumbers.  But sweet!  I loved it and have made it several times.

I used a new sweetener.  NuStevia sent me an amazing package of sweeteners to try out. I had never tried stevia so I was curious and excited. I used 2 packets of NuStevia with these smoothies and it was perfect.  Quite sweet but delicious. I've also used some of the other kinds for sauces and oatmeal.  A drop or two of the vanilla NuStevia liquid is awesome in oatmeal. 



Green Veggie Smoothie Recipe
Adapted from Meatless Meals

2 - 3 handfulls of spinach
1 green apple, cored
1/2 cucumber
2 celery stalks
1 - 2 tablespoons of stevia powder (I used 2 packets)
1 tbsp. agave nectar
3/4 cup water
2 cups of ice

Stuff the spinach into the blender.  Pour the water in and grind the spinach a little.  Add the apple, cucumber and celery.  Add the stevia, agave nectar and ice.  Grind it all up until the desired slushy consistency is reached.

One Year Ago...













Chunky Meaty Chili


7 comments:

  1. I have never had a green smoothy, have always been chicken to try but need to. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday, I would like to try this. The green is pretty but not what I am used to with my strawberry smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still am a lil fearful of the green drink ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful with that stevia--it's a lot sweeter than sugar! And the packets aren't even as sweet as the straight NuNaturals stevia powder that comes in a jar--that stuff is MAJOR! I thought it was equal so I measured how much is in a packet, then put that same amount from the jar into a recipe and it was so sweet I couldn't eat it. Anyway, yummo on the smoothie! Glad you got the green-ness level you were wanting to achieve! :)

    ReplyDelete