Saturday, April 21, 2012

Green Smoothie Recipe


I've made many smoothies but for the most part, kept them with fruit. I've always made them for the kids and I know they wouldn't go for anything green. I finally decided to do it. I brought out the spinach and they all went running. Well, phooey on them, this was for ME.

The only problem; mine didn't really turn green. I even added more spinach, but it didn't turn really green. It was more kinda brown. I think it was my food processor.  It certainly not the prettiest smoothie but incredibly delicious.

I only had fresh fruit and I like to use frozen so it is more icy and cold. So I did add 4 cubes of pineapple core. After I cut a pineapple, I cut the core into ice cubes sized chunks and put them in a baggie in the freezer for smoothies. Actually, I freeze any fruit that is on it's last leg for smoothies.



Green Smoothie Recipe
Adapted from Eat the Smart Thing

10 strawberries
10 or so grapes
1 banana
1 handful of blueberries (or blackberries)
6 oz. greek yogurt (I used honey flavored)
1/4 cup milk
1 big handful of baby spinach
4 cubes of pineapple core (optional, I added this)

Put all of the ingredients into a blender and mix until you reach desired texture. If you want it cold and icier, freeze the fruit before putting in the blender.



8 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious to me and I love spinach. Tell the kids it is good for them :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine never turn green when I add strawberries and/or blueberries. I think it has to do with the whole color wheel thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be because you didn't use enough spinach! I use at LEAST 2 handfuls, sometimes more, and not QUITE as much fruit. Result is a bright green, yummy smoothie! I put my spinach in first - I pile it in, then add fruit according to how much room is left. You could add orange juice instead of milk, and that helps with the sweetness. Or even add a tablespoon of honey as well. I have to make extra because my kids love them...spinach and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids would go running too. I am determined to make them without them knowing there is spinach. Glad it turned out delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're looking to get any nutritional value out the spinach you'd do better to cook it first, otherwise you may as well use cardboard, as uncooked it will provide nothing but fibre. You will use more this way and get a better green colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous - and so healthy too. I'm with you...I am always cutting up fruit to put in the freezer for smoothies...what a terrific way to begin a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks pretty green! You probably need like a whole bag of spinach to make it super green-lol. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours looks way better than mine did. Mine turned out super green, but tasted delicious. I didn't have all the berries in mine, so maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete