Monday, April 2, 2012

Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole


Cabbage is a very underrated vegetable in this house.  I don't cook with it a lot and I just tend to forget about it.  I forget how good and tasty it is. 



This casserole reminded me of lasagna.  No, it wasn't just like lasagna; you would need 3 times the cheese to accomplish that.  The cabbage is a fairly bland vegetable that works well with these flavors. The health benefits of cabbage vs. pasta is of course is amazing.  This was super healthy and incredibly low in calories.  Oh, did I mention that it tasted amazing too? 




Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

1 lb. ground turkey or ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1/4 cup water, (just enough to rinse out the can)
2 cups cooked rice, I used brown rice
2 cups cheese, I used 6 oz (I used colby jack)

Spray a large casserole dish, I used a 12 x 15.  This makes a big casserole.

Cook ground turkey and cook until almost done.  Add chopped onion and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.  Add minced garlic, dried thyme and paprika and cook for about 2 minutes more.  Then add the diced tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce.  Rinse out the cans out with a little water, just about 1/4 cup total and add it to the pan.  Let mixture simmer until it's hot and slightly thickened, about 15 - 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, cut cabbage in half, cut out core and remove any wilted outer leaves, then chop the cabbage coarsely into pieces.  Heat about a tablespoon of oil (I used bacon grease) in a skillet, add the cabbage, turning it over several times so it all wilts and cooks.  Season cabbage with salt and pepper. 

When meat and tomato mixture has cooked for about 15 - 20 minutes and thickened a bit, stir in the 2 cups of cooked rice and gently combine. 

Layer half the cooked cabbage in the prepared casserole dish.  Then put in half of the meat mixture.  Sprinkle half the cheese and then the rest of the cabbage. Top with the rest of the meat layer.  Cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes.  Remove foil, add the rest of the cheese and cook for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and started to slightly brown. 

One Year Ago....







La Bamba Mexican Casserole




16 comments:

  1. Yum, yum is all I have to describe your photos! I have quite a bit of cabbage planted this year in the garden, so as soon as it is ready, this will be the first menu I try. I can't wait! This one is definitely a winner! Maybe I need to start showcasing a recipe each week from the previous week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! She has a lot of great recipes on her site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so majorly delicious! The perfect low carb way to satisfy my lasagna cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep forgetting how good cabbage is too! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely use cabbage myself, I just forget about it. This though looks like a reason to buy some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks really good and we love cabbage. I know what to do with the cabbage in my refrigerator now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of cheese does the recipe call for? I'd like to know before I make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry about that. I used colby jack. The original recipe used a low fat blend of mozzarella and cheddar. We usually have colby jack in the house so that gets used for most recipes. Any cheese that you like would work.

      Delete
  8. Hi Debbi,
    zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there's prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

    Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://www.simplystacie.net/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-join-the-zuuzs-grand-spring-recipe-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made something similar to this before. It is one scrumptious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Debbi.I'm going to make it next week and before I hit the grocery I wanted to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, I buy one and then it just sits there for months in the fridge! But my Dad was cooking it when I came over yesterday and I kinda went crazy spider monkey on it--it was so good! love cabbage rolls, this is so much easier! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really have to give this casserole a try, as much as I love stuffed cabbage, the work in preparing it...not so much. Cabbage really is the most underrated vegetable, isn't it? it tastes good, it's cheap and it keeps for a long time! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminded me I have a whole head of cabbage! I really love this - it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh! this just calls to my little tummy.

    ReplyDelete